CVC Capital Partners Offers Over $20 Billion to Take Toshiba Private, Shares Soar 18%, Analysts Skeptical
- S&P 500, Dow climb for third day and close at records
- Tesla (TSLA) China Numbers 'Robust' - Wedbush
- Apple (AAPL) Shares Seen as 'Attractive' as Recent Checks Show Continuously Strong Demand - Citi
- Investors Poured More Money Into Stocks in Past 5 Months Than Last 12 Years, Says BofA, Analysts Worried About Stretched Valuations
- Amazon.com warehouse workers vote to reject forming union in Alabama
Get instant alerts when news breaks on your stocks. Claim your 1-week free trial to StreetInsider Premium here.
CVC Capital Partners has offered over $20 billion to take the Japanese industrial conglomerate Toshiba (OTC: TOSYY) private.
The company was valued at $15.8 billion yesterday while Nikkei says the CVC offer is based on a 30% premium based on Tuesday’s closing share price of 3,830 yen. The Japanese firm is now considering the proposal, it said in a statement.
“Toshiba received an initial proposal yesterday, and will ask for further clarification and give it careful consideration,” Toshiba said in a statement.
The offer from CVC comes at a time when major shareholders have questioned corporate governance. At a meeting in March, shareholders approved a proposal coming from Effissimo Capital Management to appoint independent investigators to determine whether voting at one of the previous shareholders’ meetings was fair.
However, industry analysts are skeptical the deal will go ahead, even if CVC improves its offer.
“We believe that current shareholders, especially activists, will want a rather steep price,” LightStream Research analyst Mio Kato said in a note.
The government of Japan is likely to make sure that the infrastructure work Toshiba is doing is not affected, said Chief Cabinet Secretary Katsunobu Kato.
“Even though it faced bankruptcy Toshiba is still one of Japan’s leading companies. It also has many businesses linked to government policies, so it seems a little unrealistic for it to become a foreign-owned private company,” said Takuro Hayashi, an analyst at Iwai Cosmo Securities.
Shares of Toshiba opened over 18% higher this morning in Tokyo before the trading was halted.
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- Sanofi (SNY) Acquires Tidal Therapeutics for $160M Upfront and Up to $310M in Milestones
- Yucaipa Acquisition (YAC) Said in Talks for $4B Signa Sports Deal - Bloomberg
- Grab is said to announce deal with Altimeter Growth Corp (AGC) next week - Bloomberg
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesMergers and Acquisitions, Private Company News
Related EntitiesCVC Capital Partners
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!