U.S. SEC subpoenas Overstock, seeks information on 2019 retail forecast
- Wall Street ends lower as investors await earnings, inflation data
- Microsoft (MSFT) announces $19.7 billion acquisition of Nuance (NUAN)
- Alibaba (BABA) Gets a Record $2.8 Billion Anti-Monopoly Fine, Shares Soar as a 'Major Overhang' is Lifted
- Tesla (TSLA) Upgraded to 'Buy' at Canaccord Genuity and PT Raised by 155%, as it 'Holds a Several-Year Lead' in EV While Storage Business Accelerates
- Dollar drops as traders prepare for inflation data
FILE PHOTO: The U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission logo adorns an office door at the SEC headquarters in Washington, June 24, 2011. REUTERS/Jonathan Ernst//File Photo
News and research before you hear about it on CNBC and others. Claim your 1-week free trial to StreetInsider Premium here.
(Reuters) - Overstock.com Inc said on Friday it received a subpoena from the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission in January, seeking information on the company's 2019 forecast for retail unit and on certain communication with executives and investors.
The online retailer and blockchain tech investor is cooperating with the investigation, it said in a regulatory filing, and continues to provide documents requested in the subpoena.
Overstock did not respond to a request for additional details on the subpoena.
"Although we believe that we have fully complied with all relevant laws and regulations, there can be no assurance that the SEC will not commence an enforcement action against us or members of our management, or as to the ultimate resolution of any enforcement action that the SEC may decide to bring," Overstock said.
Earlier this week, the company posted a surprise quarterly profit and said its revenue soared 84% over the previous year.
Overstock's shares have received a boost after bitcoin, the world's most popular cryptocurrency, witnessed increased demand from institutional, corporate and more recently retail investors, attracted by the prospect of quick gains.
(Reporting by Akanksha Rana in Bengaluru; Editing by Shinjini Ganguli)
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- Eaton Vance New York Municipal Income Trust (EVY) Reports Board Approval of Plan of Liquidation and Termination
- Immunocore (IMCR) presents phase 3 data comparing tebentafusp with investigator’s choice in the clinical trial plenary session at AACR
- Novo Integrated Sciences (NVOS) Prices $8.0 Million Registered Direct Offering
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesLitigation, Reuters
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!