Johnson & Johnson (JNJ), Actelion (ALIOY) Deal Said Valued at $250-$260 Per Share, Including SpinCo - Sources
- S&P 500 dips off record high, Dow rises on bank earnings
- Coinbase (COIN) Soars 52% in Public Debut
- JPMorgan (JPM) Reports a Q1 Beat on Revenue and Profit Fueled by Release of $5.2 Billion Reserved for Bad Loans; Shares Slightly Down
- Bernie Madoff, disgraced Ponzi schemer, dies at 82
- Goldman Sachs (GS) Q1 EPS Nearly Doubles Wall Street's View as Investment Banking Excels Amid SPAC and IPO Frenzy
News and research before you hear about it on CNBC and others. Claim your 1-week free trial to StreetInsider Premium here.
Johnson & Johnson (NYSE: JNJ) and Actelion (OTC: ALIOY) are making progress toward finalizing 2017's first mega-deal, valued in the tens of billions of dollars, according to people claiming to have knowledge of the matter.
Under the arrangement being discussed, Actelion would split into two parts, with mature assets acquired by Johnson & Johnson, and the other assets held in a second public company. The amount of the cash component remains an open question but the total deal value is believed to be $250 to $260 per share, including the SpinCo. One person said Actelion investors would likely have the option to take all cash or shares in the new company.
Actelion and Johnson & Johnson in December announced that they entered exclusive talks, an arrangement that excluded Sanofi (NYSE: SNY), a drug company that had also shown interest in a deal with Actelion. While Sanofi is no longer involved in talks, the fact that there was a second bidder stirred rumors that Johnson & Johnson had sweetened its offer by a large sum, but the deal's structure may have played as large of a role as price and been the critical factor in allowing the process to move forward. Actelion's CEO Jean-Paul Clozel, a large shareholder, had pressed for the company's independence from the beginning.
While the terms of the new, complex arrangement may not include a major bump in price, it was described as a win for all parties involved -- Johnson & Johnson, Actelion, and shareholders.
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- Babylon Said in Talks to List Via Alkuri Global Acquisition (KURI) - Bloomberg
- Koch to Acquire Transaction Network Services from Siris Capital
- Amyris (AMRS) Reports Acquisition of Beauty Labs International Ltd.
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesHot M&A, Mergers and Acquisitions, Rumors
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!