Occidental Petroleum (OXY) falls on report of deal to acquire CrownRock
- S&P, Dow eke out another record closing high as Nvidia momentum endures
- Goldman Sachs no longer expects Fed rate cut in May - reports
- Stocks eke out gain as Nvidia rally slows, yields slip
- Oil ends lower, posts weekly decline as US rate cut hopes dim
- Dollar index on track for first weekly fall this year
Occidental Petroleum (NYSE: OXY) is in talks to buy Permian operator CrownRock for well over $10 billion, including debt, the Wall Street Journal reported overnight citing people familiar with the matter.
A deal between the two could be announced over the near term as long as talks don't fall apart or another suitor doesn't outbid Occidental.
Shares of Occidental traded down 1.5% mid-day amid the report.
CrownRock is one of the last remaining privately held companies in the Permian and produces about 150,000 barrels of oil equivalent a day.
Warren Buffett's Berkshire Hathaway owns a 26% stake in Occidental and commented in the past that they wouldn't seek to acquire the entire company.
Earlier in the fall, speculation suggested that oil giant Chevron (NYSE: CVX) was kicking the tires of Occidental, but talks between the two fizzled. In October, Chevron agreed to acquire Hess (NYSE: HES) in a $53 billion all-cash deal. This deal closely followed Exxon Mobil's nearly $60 billion all-stock deal for Pioneer Natural Resources (NYSE: PXD), highlighting the frenzy of deal activity in the sector.
By StreetInsider.com Staff
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- Occidental Petroleum (OXY) Exploring Sale Of Western Midstream Partners (WES) - Reuters
- United Airlines Close in on Airbus A321 Order over MAX 10 Delays - Bloomberg
- Exclusive-Occidental explores $20 billion-plus sale of Western Midstream, sources say
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesHot List, Hot M&A, Mergers and Acquisitions
Related EntitiesWarren Buffett, Definitive Agreement
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!