Mind Medicine Surges on Connection to Bed Bath & Beyond Whiz Kid Trader Freeman
- Wall Street ends sharply higher as Treasury yields dip
- Apple Falls 4% on Report It Will Not Ramp Up iPhone 14 Production, Analyst Not Surprised
- Biogen (BIIB) Surges After 'Best-Case' Alzheimer's Drug Trial Results; Stock Earns Several Upgrades
- Europe Stock Outflows 'Worse Than During COVID Panic' - Citi
- Oil up 4% as Bulls Storm Back In on Hurricane, Crude Draw and Dollar Drop
News and research before you hear about it on CNBC and others. Claim your 1-week free trial to StreetInsider Premium here.
Shares of small-cap stock Mind Medicine (NASDAQ: MNMD) surged over 50% on Wednesday after traders noted the connection to Jake Freeman, the university student that reportedly made a $110 million windfall profit trading meme-stock Bed Bath & Beyond (NASDAQ: BBBY).
In an interview with the FT, it was highlighted that Freeman is a 20-year-old mathematics and economics major at the University of Southern California. He bought 5 million shares of Bed Bath & Beyond in July with money raised from friends and family. Shares were purchased through an entity named FCM BBBY Holdings, LLC, which is controlled by Freeman Capital of Sheridan, Wyoming. Mr. Freeman is the managing member of the firm. The shares were purchased at under $5.50 per share, or about $25 million, and sold earlier this week for more than $130 million.
Freeman was shocked by the speed of the surge. "I certainly did not expect a vicious rally upwards," Freeman was quoted as saying. He thought Bed Bath & Beyond would be a six-month-plus play.
Now the 20-year-old and his uncle, Dr. Scott Freeman, a former pharmaceutical executive, have built an activist stake in Mind Medicine, FT said.
Shares of Bed Bath & Beyond are down 29% intra-day Wednesday after it was disclosed that Ryan Cohen's firm filed with the SEC to sell all of his 9.5 million shares.
Mind Medicine last traded up 51% to $1.14.
By StreetInsider.com Staff
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- SEC Charges 16 Wall Street Firms with Widespread Recordkeeping Failures
- Cracker Barrel (CBRL) And Biglari Announce Appointment Of Biglari Nominee And Cooperation Agreement
- UPDATE: Statera Biopharma (STAB) Receives Nasdaq Delisting Decision, Scheduled Hearing for October 6
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesHot List, Momentum Movers, Trader Talk
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!