Merck (MRK) in Advanced Talks to Acquire Seagen (SGEN) for $40 Billion - WSJ
- Nasdaq closes lower as chipmaker Micron's warning renews tech rout
- Citi’s Top Equity Strategist Warns Analysts are Too Bullish on Stocks
- Bank of America Clients Continue to Buy the Rally, New Data Shows
- Novavax (NVAX) Crashes 30% After a Deep Guidance Cut, Analyst 'Frustrated'
- 'Hard to Say' Whether Current Crypto Bear Market is Over - Morgan Stanley
Get instant alerts when news breaks on your stocks. Claim your 1-week free trial to StreetInsider Premium here.
The ongoing talks suggest that Merck could pay more than $200 per share to acquire Seagen and the two companies are looking to close the deal prior to Merck’s quarterly earnings report, scheduled for July 28.
Shares of Seagen are up nearly 3% in pre-market Thursday while Merck stock price is down 1%.
Even though Merck and Seagen are currently in advanced talks, there are no guarantees the two companies will close a deal, the WSJ report added.
The move comes as Merck seeks to expand its cancer drug offerings. Merck is well known for its immunotherapy medicine Keytruda, used for treating lung cancer, melanoma, head and neck cancer, and stomach cancer, among others. Keytruda was Merck’s best-selling product with $17.2 billion in sales in 2021.
Acquiring Seagen would also help Merck weather the blow the pharmaceutical company is expected to face when Keytruda loses patent protection, which analysts estimate will happen at the end of the decade. According to analysts at Cowen & Co, the immunotherapy drug could represent as much as 40% of the company’s sales in 2027.
By Senad Karaahmetovic
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- UPDATE: Merck (MRK) on Watch After Diabetes Drug Found to Contain Potential Carcinogen
- Accenture (ACN) Acquires YSC Consulting
- AppLovin (APP) Makes Offer to Acquire Video Game Maker Unity (U)
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesHot List, Hot M&A, Mergers and Acquisitions, Rumors, Trader Talk
Related EntitiesCowen & Co, Earnings, Definitive Agreement, Senad Karaahmetovic
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!