Nathan's Famous, Inc. Reports First Quarter Results and Declares Quarterly Cash Dividend of $0.45 Per Share
- Nasdaq slides 1% as chipmaker Micron's warning renews tech rout
- Citi’s Top Equity Strategist Warns Analysts are Too Bullish on Stocks
- Bank of America Clients Continue to Buy the Rally, New Data Shows
- Novavax (NVAX) Crashes 30% After a Deep Guidance Cut, Analyst 'Frustrated'
- 'Hard to Say' Whether Current Crypto Bear Market is Over - Morgan Stanley
Get instant alerts when news breaks on your stocks. Claim your 1-week free trial to StreetInsider Premium here.
JERICHO, N.Y., Aug. 05, 2022 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Nathan's Famous, Inc. (“Nathan’s”, the “Company”, “we”, “us” or “our”) (NASDAQ: NATH) today reported results for its first fiscal quarter ended June 26, 2022.
For the thirteen-week period ended June 26, 2022 (“first quarter fiscal 2023”):
- Revenues were $39,720,000, as compared to $31,319,000 during the thirteen weeks ended June 27, 2021;
- Income from operations was $11,780,000, as compared to $10,702,000 during the thirteen weeks ended June 27, 2021;
- Adjusted EBITDA1, a non-GAAP financial measure, was $12,065,000, as compared to $11,061,000 during the thirteen weeks ended June 27, 2021;
- Income before provision for income taxes was $9,880,000, as compared to $8,104,000 during the thirteen weeks ended June 27, 2021;
- Net income was $7,137,000, as compared to $5,763,000 during the thirteen weeks ended June 27, 2021; and
- Earnings per diluted share was $1.74 per share, as compared to $1.40 per share during the thirteen weeks ended June 27, 2021.
The Company also reported the following:
- License royalties increased to $11,314,000 during the first quarter fiscal 2023, as compared to $10,682,000 during the thirteen weeks ended June 27, 2021. During the first quarter fiscal 2023, royalties earned under the retail agreement, including the foodservice program, with John Morrell & Co., increased 6% to $10,450,000, as compared to $9,880,000 of royalties earned during the thirteen weeks ended June 27, 2021.
- In the Branded Product Program, which features the sale of Nathan’s hot dogs to the foodservice industry, sales increased by approximately $7,175,000 to $23,171,000 during the first quarter fiscal 2023, as compared to $15,996,000 for the thirteen weeks ended June 27, 2021. The volume of hot dogs sold by the Company increased by 29%. As the economy continues to reopen and travel continues to increase, our Branded Product Program customers, including professional sports arenas, amusement parks, shopping malls and movie theaters have experienced stronger attendance contributing to an increase in sales over the prior year comparable period. Our average selling price, which is partially correlated to the beef markets, increased by approximately 14% compared to the prior year period. Income from operations decreased by approximately $187,000 to $2,067,000 during the first quarter fiscal 2023, as compared to $2,254,000 for the thirteen weeks ended June 27, 2021, due to unprecedented commodity inflation in beef and beef trimmings.
- Sales from Company-operated restaurants were $3,723,000 during the first quarter fiscal 2023 compared to $3,329,000 during the thirteen weeks ended June 27, 2021. The increase was primarily due to an increase in customer traffic especially at our two Coney Island locations.
- Revenues from franchise operations were $1,093,000 during the first quarter fiscal 2023 compared to $907,000 during the thirteen weeks ended June 27, 2021. Total royalties were $901,000 in the first quarter fiscal 2023 period as compared to $800,000 during the thirteen weeks ended June 27, 2021. Total franchise fee income was $192,000 during the first quarter fiscal 2023 as compared to $107,000 during the thirteen weeks ended June 27, 2021. The increase in franchise fees and royalties during the first quarter fiscal 2023 was primarily due to an increase in franchise restaurant sales of $2,961,000 to $15,946,000 as compared to $12,985,000 for the thirteen weeks ended June 27, 2021.2 Three new franchised outlets opened during the first quarter fiscal 2023.
- During the first quarter fiscal 2023, we recorded Advertising Fund revenue and expense in the amount of $419,000 as compared to $405,000 during the thirteen weeks ended June 27, 2021.
- The Company repurchased 20,370 shares of its common stock for $1,070,000 during the first quarter fiscal 2023 pursuant to a 10b5-1 plan.
- On June 24, 2022, we paid the $0.45 per share regular cash dividend that was declared by the Board of Directors on June 10, 2022 to shareholders of record at the close of business on June 20, 2022.
- Effective August 5, 2022, the Board of Directors declared its quarterly cash dividend of $0.45 per share payable on September 2, 2022 to shareholders of record at the close of business on August 22, 2022.
Certain Non-GAAP Financial Information:
In addition to disclosing results that are determined in accordance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles in the United States of America ("US GAAP"), the Company is disclosing EBITDA, a non-GAAP financial measure which is defined as net income, excluding (i) interest expense; (ii) provision for income taxes and (iii) depreciation and amortization expense. The Company is also disclosing Adjusted EBITDA, a non-GAAP financial measure which is defined as EBITDA, excluding (i) stock-based compensation that the Company believes will impact the comparability of its results of operations. The Company believes that EBITDA and Adjusted EBITDA are useful to investors to assist in assessing and understanding the Company's operating performance and underlying trends in the Company's business because EBITDA and Adjusted EBITDA are (i) among the measures used by management in evaluating performance and (ii) are frequently used by securities analysts, investors and other interested parties as a common performance measure.
EBITDA and Adjusted EBITDA are not recognized terms under US GAAP and should not be viewed as alternatives to net income or other measures of financial performance or liquidity in conformity with US GAAP. Additionally, our definitions of EBITDA and Adjusted EBITDA may differ from other companies. Analysis of results and outlook on a non-US GAAP basis should be used as a complement to, and in conjunction with, data presented in accordance with US GAAP. Please see the table at the end of this press release for a reconciliation of EBITDA and Adjusted EBITDA to net income.
About Nathan’s Famous
Nathan’s is a Russell 2000 Company that currently distributes its products in 50 states, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, the U.S. Virgin Islands, Guam, and sixteen foreign countries through its restaurant system, foodservice sales programs and product licensing activities. For additional information about Nathan’s please visit our website at www.nathansfamous.com.
Except for historical information contained in this news release, the matters discussed are forward looking statements within the meaning of Section 27A of the Securities Act of 1933, as amended, and Section 21E of the Securities Exchange Act of 1934, as amended, that involve risks and uncertainties. Words such as “anticipate”, “believe”, “estimate”, “expect”, “intend”, and similar expressions identify forward-looking statements, which are based on the current belief of the Company’s management, as well as assumptions made by and information currently available to the Company’s management. Among the factors that could cause actual results to differ materially include but are not limited to: the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic; the status of our licensing and supply agreements, including our licensing revenue and overall profitability being substantially dependent on our agreement with John Morrell & Co.; the impact of our debt service and repayment obligations under the 2025 Notes, including the effect on our ability to fund working capital, operations and make new investments; economic (including inflationary pressures like those currently being experienced); weather (including the impact on the supply of cattle and the impact of weather on sales at our restaurants particularly during the summer months), and change in the price of beef trimmings; our ability to pass on the cost of any price increases in beef and beef trimmings; legislative and business conditions; the collectability of receivables; changes in consumer tastes; the continued viability of Coney Island as a destination location for visitors; the ability to attract franchisees; the impact of the minimum wage legislation on labor costs in New York State or other changes in labor laws, including regulations which could render a franchisor as a “joint employee” or the impact of our union contracts; our ability to attract competent restaurant and managerial personnel; the enforceability of international franchising agreements; the future effects of any food borne illness, such as bovine spongiform encephalopathy, BSE and e coli; and the risk factors reported from time to time in the Company’s SEC reports. The Company does not undertake any obligation to update such forward-looking statements.
1 EBITDA and Adjusted EBITDA are non-GAAP financial measures. Please see the definitions of EBITDA and Adjusted EBITDA on page 2 of this release and the reconciliation of EBITDA and Adjusted EBITDA to net income in the table at the end of this release.2 Franchise restaurant sales are not revenues of the Company and are not included in the Company’s Consolidated Financial Statements.
Nathan's Famous, Inc. and Subsidiaries(unaudited)
|Thirteen weeks ended|
|June 26, 2022||June 27, 2021|
|Total revenues||$ 39,720,000||$ 31,319,000|
|Income from operations (a)||$ 11,780,000||$ 10,702,000|
|Income before provision for income taxes||$ 9,880,000||$ 8,104,000|
|Net income||$ 7,137,000||$ 5,763,000|
|Income per share:|
|Basic||$ 1.74||$ 1.40|
|Diluted||$ 1.74||$ 1.40|
|Weighted-average shares used in computing income per share:|
Select Segment Information
|Branded product program||$23,171,000||$15,996,000|
|Revenues||$ 39,720,000||$ 31,319,000|
|Income from operations (c)|
|Branded product program||$2,067,000||$2,254,000|
|Income from operations (c)||$ 11,780,000||$ 10,702,000|
- Excludes interest expense, interest income, and other income, net.
- Represents Advertising Fund revenue.
- Excludes interest expense, interest income and other income, net which are managed centrally at the corporate level, and, accordingly, such items are not presented by segment since they are excluded from the measure of profitability reviewed by the Chief Operating Decision Maker.
- Consists principally of administrative expenses not allocated to the operating segments such as executive management, finance, information technology, legal, insurance, corporate office costs, incentive compensation and compliance costs and Advertising Fund expense.
Nathan's Famous, Inc. and Subsidiaries
Reconciliation of Net Income to EBITDA and Adjusted EBITDA
|Thirteen weeks ended|
|June 26, 2022||June 27, 2021|
|Net Income||$ 7,137,000||$ 5,763,000|
|Provision for income taxes||2,743,000||2,341,000|
|Depreciation and amortization||233,000||278,000|
|EBITDA||$ 12,057,000||$ 11,032,000|
|EBITDA||$ 12,057,000||$ 11,032,000|
|Adjusted EBITDA||$ 12,065,000||$ 11,061,000|
COMPANY Robert Steinberg, Vice President - Finance and CFOCONTACT: (516) 338-8500 ext. 229Source: Nathan's Famous Inc
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- UPDATE: Avaya Holdings (AVYA) Taps Law Firm Kirkland & Ellis to Evaluate Options - WSJ
- PennantPark Floating Rate Capital (PFLT) Prices 4M Share Offering at $12.40/sh
- Quhuo (QH) Announces ADS Ratio Change to 1:10
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesGlobe Newswire, Press Releases
Related EntitiesRaising Prices, Dividend
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!