Swiss watch trader Chronext plans stock market listing, sources say
- Wall Street ekes out gains to close languid week
- 'Faster than Porsche but Safer than Volvo': Tesla (TSLA) Begins Model S Plaid Deliveries, Priced Between $131,100 and $145,600
- Oil hits multi-year highs in third weekly gain on demand recovery
- Snowflake (SNOW) Falls Following Investor Day Despite Strong Guidance, Analysts Bullish But Say Investors May Have Wanted More
- Dollar looks stronger as euro and sterling dip
FILE PHOTO: Superocean Heritage watches of Swiss watch manufacturer Breitling are displayed at the Baselworld watch and jewellery fair in Basel, Switzerland, March 21, 2018. REUTERS/Arnd Wiegmann/File Photo
News and research before you hear about it on CNBC and others. Claim your 1-week free trial to StreetInsider Premium here.
By Arno Schuetze and Oliver Hirt
FRANKFURT (Reuters) - Switzerland's Chronext is preparing an initial public offering (IPO) that could value the online marketplace for new and pre-owned luxury watches at up to 1 billion euros ($1.2 billion), people close to the matter said.
Luxury watch brands, which had long considered the market for second-hand watches as a potential threat to their business, have been shifting their stance in light of the insights it can provide on pricing and demand.
Chronext's planned IPO in Zurich is expected to take place in September but could be brought forward to July if market conditions allow, the sources told Reuters.
The company and its owners are working on the listing with banks including UBS and Bank of America, with Evercore acting as IPO advisor, they said.
Chronext and the banks declined to comment.
The fast-growing marketplace, backers of which include NRW.Bank, Inventure Partners, TEV Ventures and Octopus Ventures, has annual sales of more than 100 million euros. In its core German market, sales role by 25% in 2020.
Rivals such as Farfetch trade at about 5 times expected full-year sales.
Investors often value fast-growing e-commerce companies on expected future revenue numbers.
Chronext is expected to be valued on its 2022 and 2023 forecast sales, the sources said. If the company's growth continues at the current pace, sales could exceed 200 million euros in 2023, one of the sources said.
Rival Chrono24 is also exploring a potential stock market listing, people close to the matter said last week.
($1 = 0.8285 euros)
(Editing by David Goodman)
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- TaskUs Inc. (TASK) Prices 13.2M Share IPO at $23/Sh
- Lakeshore Acquisition I Corp. (LAAA) Prices 5M Unit IPO at $10/Unit
- 1stdibs.com Inc. (DIBS) Prices 5.75M Share IPO at $20/Sh
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesGeneral News, IPOs, Reuters
Related EntitiesUBS, IPO, BofA/Merrill Lynch
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!