Federal agencies launch probe into possible manipulation after GameStop trading frenzy: WSJ
- Wall Street ends week positively; S&P 500, Dow hit record highs
- Bitcoin (BTC) Drops 3% as Turkey Bans Cryptocurrency Payments Citing Lack of Regulatory Supervision
- Morgan Stanley (MS) Archegos-Related Loss Appears to be $911M
- Dollar at 4-week low on retreating Treasury yields
- J&J (JNJ) Privately Asked Rival Covid-19 Vaccine Makers to Inspect Clotting Risks, AstraZeneca (AZN) Said Yes but Pfizer (PFE) and Moderna (MRNA) Declined - Report
FILE PHOTO: People enter a GameStop store during "Black Friday" sales in Carle Place, New York November 25, 2011. REUTERS/Shannon Stapleton/File Photo
Get instant alerts when news breaks on your stocks. Claim your 1-week free trial to StreetInsider Premium here.
(Reuters) - Federal prosecutors and regulators are investigating whether "market manipulation or other types of misconduct" led to a meteoric rise in shares of companies such as GameStop and AMC, the Wall Street Journal reported on Thursday.
The Justice Department's fraud section and the San Francisco U.S. attorney's office have sought information about the trading from brokers and social-media companies that were hubs for the trading, the WSJ reported, citing people familiar with the matter. https://on.wsj.com/3abznn1
Prosecutors have subpoenaed information from brokers such as Robinhood, according to the report.
Additionally, the Commodity Futures Trading Commission has opened a preliminary investigation into whether misconduct occurred as some Reddit traders targeted silver futures, the WSJ report.
A Justice Department spokesperson did not immediately respond to a Reuters request for comment.
(Reporting by Noor Zainab Hussain in Bengaluru; Editing by Anil D'Silva)
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- Investor Einhorn says Palihapitiya, Musk poured 'jet fuel' on GameStop
- Peruvian ex-president Vizcarra banned from public office over vaccines scandal
- Chamath Palihapitiya May Have Tried to De-Stabilize Robinhood With GameStop (GME) Trades - Einhorn
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesGeneral News, Litigation, Reuters
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!