'Early signs' monkeypox outbreak plateauing in UK, health authority says
- Nasdaq closes lower as chipmaker Micron's warning renews tech rout
- Citi’s Top Equity Strategist Warns Analysts are Too Bullish on Stocks
- Bank of America Clients Continue to Buy the Rally, New Data Shows
- Novavax (NVAX) Crashes 30% After a Deep Guidance Cut, Analyst 'Frustrated'
- 'Hard to Say' Whether Current Crypto Bear Market is Over - Morgan Stanley
People queue up to receive monkeypox vaccinations during a pop-up clinic at Guy's Hospital in central London, Britain, July 30, 2022. REUTERS/Henry Nicholls
Get instant alerts when news breaks on your stocks. Claim your 1-week free trial to StreetInsider Premium here.
(Reuters) - The UK Health Security Agency (UKHSA) said on Friday there were "early signs" that the monkeypox outbreak is plateauing across the country and that its expansion has slowed.
"While the most recent data suggests the growth of the outbreak has slowed, we cannot be complacent," Dr Meera Chand, director of clinical and emerging infections at UKHSA, said.
There were 2,859 confirmed and highly probable cases of monkeypox in the UK as of Aug. 4, with nearly 99% of the cases among men, the country's health authority said in a statement.
The recent analysis by the UKHSA showed that "monkeypox continues to be transmitted primarily in interconnected sexual networks of gay, bisexual, or other men who have sex with men", it added.
British authorities in June were recommending gay and bisexual men at higher risk of exposure to monkeypox be offered a vaccine, as the outbreak of the viral disease had gathered pace, mostly in Europe.
Individuals at higher risk of coming into contact with monkeypox are being offered the smallpox vaccine, Dr Chand said.
Earlier this month, the World Health Organization declared monkeypox a "public health emergency of international concern", its highest alert level.
Following the WHO's move, the United States too declared monkeypox a public health emergency on Thursday.
(Reporting by Anirudh Saligrama in Bengaluru; Editing by Jan Harvey)
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- U.S. accuses Chinese company of helping ZTE hide business with Iran
- SoftBank steps up asset sales from sinking portfolio
- Walmart held talks on streaming deal with Disney, Comcast and Paramount- NYT
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesGeneral News, Reuters
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!