Alibaba (BABA) to hire 15,000 people this year, denies layoff rumors
- Futures slip as mixed data clouds Fed policy outlook
- 12 Wall Street analysts discuss Apple Vision Pro as 'hefty' price pushes shares lower
- Bitcoin slides to near 3-month lows after SEC sues Binance
- SEC sues Binance, Apple unveils Vision Pro headset - what's moving markets
- Apple (AAPL) should buy Disney (DIS) to drive adoption of Vision Pro - analyst
Get Alerts BABA Hot Sheet
Join SI Premium – FREE
News and research before you hear about it on CNBC and others. Claim your 1-week free trial to StreetInsider Premium here.
Alibaba (NYSE: BABA) on Thursday dismissed rumors that it planned to cut a large percentage of its workforce and instead stated it plans to hire 15,000 people this year.
Rumors circulating on Chinese social media in the last few days said BABA was planning to cut 20% of its workers.
However, in a post on its official Weibo account, Alibaba reportedly said that out of the 15,000 new hires, over 3,000 would be newly-graduated students.
According to a report by Reuters, in its Weibo post, Alibaba said: "Talent movement is what all enterprises have been doing. In Alibaba, talents have been coming in and out, moving normally."
Reuters also stated, citing sources, that Alibaba's cloud unit has begun a round of layoffs that will impact 7% of staff as it streamlines its business to prepare for an IPO.
By Sam Boughedda
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- GitLab stock jumps 26% on strong Q1 beat & guidance; Analysts bulled-up
- Montana Technologies to Combine with Power & Digital Infrastructure Acquisition II Corp. (XPDB)
- Popular stocks increasing volume: SOFI BABA NFLX T DIS AI VZ LULU
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesGeneral News, Hot List, Management Comments
Related EntitiesLayoffs, IPO
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!