Crypto traders on Robinhood jump six-fold to 9.5 million in Q1
- Wall Street ends lower as investors await earnings, inflation data
- Microsoft (MSFT) announces $19.7 billion acquisition of Nuance (NUAN)
- Alibaba (BABA) Gets a Record $2.8 Billion Anti-Monopoly Fine, Shares Soar as a 'Major Overhang' is Lifted
- Tesla (TSLA) Upgraded to 'Buy' at Canaccord Genuity and PT Raised by 155%, as it 'Holds a Several-Year Lead' in EV While Storage Business Accelerates
- Dollar drops as traders prepare for inflation data
FILE PHOTO: The Robinhood App is displayed on a screen in this photo illustration January 29, 2021. REUTERS/Brendan McDermid/Illustration
Get inside Wall Street with StreetInsider Premium. Claim your 1-week free trial here.
(Reuters) -Online brokerage Robinhood said on Thursday that 9.5 million users traded cryptocurrency on its platform during the first quarter of 2021, a near six-fold rise from the previous quarter.
Bitcoin, the world's most-traded cryptocurrency, has nearly doubled in value so far this year, boosted by an increased interest from larger financial firms betting on its greater acceptance, and as a hedge against inflation. Bitcoin has also made its way into the corporate treasuries of Tesla Inc, Square and MicroStrategy Inc.
While central banks remain skeptical of digital currencies, analysts say more real world uses of bitcoin will increase its appeal as a long-term store of value.
Robinhood currently allows customers to buy, sell and hold cryptocurrencies, and had said it plans to give customers the ability to deposit and withdraw them for transfers to other wallets as well.
In January, the brokerage angered some customers after it temporarily disabled a feature on its app, which allowed users to instantly buy crypto securities, due to volatile market conditions sparked by trading frenzy in video-game retailer GameStop's stock.
Last month, Robinhood confidentially submitted paperwork to regulators for a U.S. initial public offering.
(Reporting by Munsif Vengattil in Bengaluru; Editing by Anil D'Silva and Vinay Dwivedi)
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- Fed's Rosengren says U.S. economy should see significant rebound this year
- Brazilian Card Network Elo Choses Goldman Sachs, JPMorgan And Morgan Stanley For IPO - Reuters
- U.S., NATO discuss need for Russia to cease military buildup near Ukraine: State Department
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesForex, General News, Private Company News, Reuters
Related EntitiesTesla, IPO, Bitcoin
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!