Bitcoin (BTC) Price Soars 5% to Fresh Record Highs Ahead of Coinbase IPO
- Dow ends at record high after upbeat jobless claims report
- PayPal (PYPL) Gains After Topping Q1 and Guidance Expectations, Crypto Seen as a Key Growth Driver Going Forward
- Square (SQ) Tops Q1 EPS by 25c
- Fed's Kaplan wants taper talk 'sooner rather than later'
- U.S. weekly jobless claims drop below 500,000; layoffs lowest since 2000
News and research before you hear about it on CNBC and others. Claim your 1-week free trial to StreetInsider Premium here.
Bitcoin (BTC) price has surged about 5% to exceed the $62,000 mark for the first time ever as traders prepare for the much-anticipated Coinbase (NASDAQ: COIN) initial public offering. Bitcoin price hit $62,750 at 04:31 EST, according to Coinbase data.
Ethereum (ETH) price has also moved higher to exceed the $2,200 handle and print new all-time highs at $2,221.
Coinbase is set to start trading publicly tomorrow through a direct listing on Wednesday that could value the California-based cryptocurrency exchange at as much as $100 billion.
“This is really good for the industry and really important for the industry at a minimum,” Marcus Swanepoel, CEO and co-founder of London-based cryptocurrency platform Luno, told CNBC.
“It’s going to increase the trust and transparency in our industry. There’s still a bit of distrust in the industry and I think having a company of that size be public is going to help a lot of people realize that this is not just an asset class to take seriously but also a business to take seriously.”
Coinbase reported it recorded quarterly revenues of $1.8 billion in the first quarter of 2021, representing an increase of about 850% from the same period a year earlier. The company’s profits soared to between $730 million and $800 million.
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- Crypto Custody Company NYDIG Partners With Fintech Giant FIS to Allow Bank Customers to Buy, Sell and Hold Bitcoin (BTC)
- PureCycle Technologies (PCT) Sinks 20% on Short Report
- Ethereum (ETH) Adds 7% to Surge Above $3,000, Analyst Sees a Path to $10,500 For a 'Cloud 2.0 Crypto Stock'
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesForex, Trader Talk
Related EntitiesIPO, Bitcoin
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!