Whirlpool forecasts 2021 profit above estimates as demand up in pandemic
- Wall Street slides on report of Biden's plan to almost double capital gains tax
- Biden To Propose Capital Gains Tax As High As 43.4% For Wealthy - Bloomberg
- U.S. weekly jobless claims hit 13-month low; home sales tumble
- Cathie Wood's ARK Buys Over 5M Shares of Skillz (SKLZ), Nearly 3M Shares of IPO UiPath (PATH)
FILE PHOTO: The administrative entrance at the Whirlpool plant in Clyde, Ohio, U.S. October 3, 2017. REUTERS/Aaron Josefczyk
News and research before you hear about it on CNBC and others. Claim your 1-week free trial to StreetInsider Premium here.
(Reuters) - Whirlpool Corp on Wednesday forecast 2021 profit above expectations and beat quarterly earnings estimates on strong demand for its home appliances from people stuck at home due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
Demand for large appliances known as white goods, including refrigerators, washing machines, tumble driers, picked up during the COVID-19 pandemic, as people diverted their discretionary spending from social activities like traveling into upgrading their homes to ease household chores.
"As we enter into 2021, we continue to see signs of economic recovery - such as positive demand and encouraging structural housing trends," Chief Executive Officer Marc Bitzer said.
The owner of brands including KitchenAid and Maytag said it expects full-year 2021 adjusted profit to be between $19 per share and $20 per share, the midpoint of which is above analysts' average estimate of $19.10, according to IBES data from Refinitiv.
The Benton Harbor, Michigan-based company expects free cash flow of $1 billion or more in 2021 and net sales to rise 6%.
Net earnings jumped 72.6% in the fourth quarter ended Dec. 31 to $497 million from $288 million. Sales in North America, the company's biggest market, also rose.
The company's shares, which have risen about 70% in the past nine months, were down about 4% after the bell.
(Reporting by Shreyasee Raj; Editing by Vinay Dwivedi)
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- The Hartford (HIG) Reports Q1 EPS of $0.56; Rejects Additional Proposal from Chubb (CB), Raises Buyback
- IQVIA Holdings (IQV) Tops Q1 EPS by 33c, Offers Guidance
- Genuine Parts (GPC) Tops Q1 EPS by 36c, Revenues Beat; Raises FY21 EPS Guidance Above Consensus