EBay revenue outlook disappoints as pandemic-led boom fades
- Stocks tumble on new coronavirus variant fear
- Moderna (MRNA) Shares Rally 11% on 'Nu' Concerns, Analyst Sees mRNA Technology Adapting Much Quicker to New COVID Variant
- DiDi (DIDI) Stock Falls on Report China Seeks Delisting From US Amid Data Security Concerns
- Apple (AAPL) on Pace to Sell Over 10 Million iPhones for Black Friday - Wedbush
- Buy Tech Winners on Variant Fears - Wedbush
FILE PHOTO: The eBay logo is pictured on a phone screen in this photo illustration July 23, 2019. REUTERS/Brendan McDermid/Illustration
News and research before you hear about it on CNBC and others. Claim your 1-week free trial to StreetInsider Premium here.
(Reuters) -EBay Inc on Wednesday projected holiday-quarter revenue below market expectations, another sign that the online shopping boom fueled by the pandemic was tapering as consumers returned to stores.
The company was a big corporate winner in 2020 when lockdowns forced people to shop on its online marketplace, but growth has slowed since then as vaccinations encourage consumers to step out.
EBay said it expected fourth-quarter revenue between $2.57 billion and $2.62 billion, well below analysts' average estimate of $2.65 billion, according to Refinitiv IBES data.
The company also reported a 5% decline in the number of active buyers on its marketplace in the third quarter.
Gross merchandise volume, the total dollar value of sales on eBay from which the company takes a percentage, fell 10%.
But a strong showing by its payment services and the expansion of its advertising portfolio drove a 11% jump in revenue that was better expectations.
The company has doubled down on its core auction and e-commerce business in recent years through deals in a bid to fend off rising competition from industry behemoth Amazon.com Inc and upstarts such as Etsy Inc.
It earned 90 cents per share on an adjusted basis, a cent above estimates.
For the current quarter, it expects adjusted profit between 97 cents and $1.01 per share. Analysts expected $1 per share.
(Reporting by Nivedita Balu in Bengaluru; Editing by Aditya Soni)
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- UPDATE: Guggenheim Resumes eBay (EBAY) at Neutral
- Governor Doria wins bid to run for Brazil's presidency, polls show him far behind
- UK reports 39,567 more COVID-19 cases, 131 deaths
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesEarnings, Reuters
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!