Fear Index Rallies as 'Buy the Dip' Trade Runs out of Steam (VXX)
- Wall St ends higher as Fed signals bond-buying taper soon
- Fed maintains federal funds rate at 0 to 1/4; Fed maintains Treasury, MBS purchases but says moderation in pace may 'soon be warranted'
- Toast (TOST) IPO Opens Up 63%, Pushing Valuation to Nearly $33B
- Facebook (FB) Shares Hit After Warning on Impact of Apple's (AAPL) Privacy Changes
- Adobe (ADBE) Tops Q3 Estimates, After-Hours Move Lower in Shares Creates a Buying Opportunity Says Analyst
VIX spiked Wednesday afternoon, gaining over 20%. The rally came as equity markets slumped, with energy leading the pack. With WTI crude down 4.5%, E&P and oil services names were noticeably weaker, but other areas including tech, financial, and biotech were also hit.
Despite the rally in fear, some traders noted that recent dips, including yesterday's fall, have proven to be excellent buying opportunities. Others are decidedly more cautious due to a number of concerns. At the top of the list are fears the Fed will drop their "considerable time" language on rates following last week’s impressive jobs number.
The Dow Jones traded lower by 1.5% heading into the close Wednesday. The S&P and Nasdaq were lower by about 1.6% and 1.7%, respectively.
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- Fed's Powell Suggests Taper Could Start at Next Meeting, End Middle of Next Year
- S&P 500 Trades at High, Up 1.1%, Nasdaq Up 1%
- Nasdaq, S&P 500 Off Best Level, Still Up 0.3%
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesETFs, General News, Insiders' Blog, Trader Talk
Related EntitiesStandard & Poor's, Crude Oil
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!