Short Squeeze Sees Bitcoin (BTC) Price Hit a 5-Week High, Analysts Expect More Short-Term Bullishness
- Wall Street slips as tax uncertainty, tech losses weigh
- Invesco (IVZ) Reportedly in Talks to Merge With State Street's (STT) Asset Management Business, Citi Sees More Cons than Pros
- Jefferies Raises Price Targets on Alphabet (GOOGL) and Facebook (FB) as They Are Still Inexpensive Relative to Growth, Reiterates Snap (SNAP) as a Best Growth Idea
- Tesla (TSLA) Could Deliver 900K EV Units This Year and 1.3M in 2022 - Wedbush
- Dollar holds near three-week high after U.S. data boost
Get instant alerts when news breaks on your stocks. Claim your 1-week free trial to StreetInsider Premium here.
Bitcoin (BTC) price has pushed higher overnight to hit $39,770 in a major short squeeze.
“The Chinese trading day has opened up, and the Elon/Jack/Cathie talk was super bullish,” said Alex Brammer of Luxor Mining.
Some cryptocurrency traders have issued warnings that short interest seems to be very high and a squeeze may be coming.
“I think we saw an accumulation period around 29-30K, indicating bullishness and a potential move towards $40K for Bitcoin. I think the extent of the jump was probably driven by over-leverage shorts,” said Vijay Ayyar, head of business development at cryptocurrency exchange Luno.
The price action previously traded in the low $29,000s last week before the buyers have been able to stage a squeeze that helped the world’s largest cryptocurrency gain over $10,000 compared to last week’s lows.
"Over the last five trading sessions we've seen general near-term bullishness in the market, driven by key technicals, as well as recent positive comments," added Ryan Rabaglia, global head of trading at digital asset platform OSL.
"With a record $1.2 billion in shorts liquidated over the past 24 hours, the outlook and momentum for the week ahead is positive.”
Ethereum (ETH) price is also up over 7% on the day to test July highs around the $2,400 handle.
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- AMC (AMC) to Start Accepting Other Cryptocurrencies for Online Tickets and Concession Payments
- Crypto Adventure Rebrands to a New Website to Offer Extra Features for both Newbies and Experts
- CryptoNewsBreaks — Bitcoin Events, CryptoCurrencyWire Continue Collaboration for Crypto Fest 2021
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesCryptocurrency, Trader Talk
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!