Dogecoin Sees 'Sell the News' Reaction to Musk's SNL Appearance, as 'Hustle' Comment is Weighed Against Launch 'To the Moon'
- Dow, S&P post worst week in months after hawkish Fed spooks investors
- Fed-fueled dollar rises as bears make for exits
- Adobe (ADBE) Edges Higher After Topping Q2 Estimates, Analysts Raise PT on 'Impressive' Performance
- Fed Statement Very Bullish for Tech Stocks, Focus on Cloud and Cyber Stocks - Wedbush
- You Fight Real Physical Inflation With Rate Hikes, Not Talk of Rate Hikes; Buy the Dip in Commodities, Gold Underpriced - Goldman Sachs
Get inside Wall Street with StreetInsider Premium. Claim your 1-week free trial here.
Dogecoin saw a sell-the-news reaction to Elon Musk's, aka 'The Dogefather', appearance on SNL over the weekend. After jumping to over $0.70 into the appearance, the meme-based cryptocurrency is now trading at $0.51.
In a classic Wall Street 'sell-the-news' reaction, an asset runs up ahead of an expected event and then sells-off as the event occurs.
In an SNL 'Weekend Update' clip, hosts Colin Jost and Michael Che were asking fictional cryptocurrency expert Lloyd Ostertag, played by Musk, "so what is dogecoin?". After trying to technically explain the cryptocurrency, Ostertag finally admitted "it's a hustle."
However, in a potential ad-lib moment, Musk went out of character and said "to the moon" with a rocketship hand gesture. Following, the appearance, Musk, and his SpaceX announced they will actually take Dogecoin "to the moon."
SpaceX announced it will launch the "DOGE-1 Mission to the Moon" in the first quarter of next year.
"SpaceX launching satellite Doge-1 to the moon next year – Mission paid for in Doge – 1st crypto in space – 1st meme in space", Musk said in a tweet.
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- Bitcoin Weakness Continues, Down 4.15%
- Micron Technology (MU) Falls on Second Downgrade This Week
- ECB Extends Leverage Ratio Relief for Banks Until March 2022 - Bloomberg
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesCryptocurrency, Forex, Trader Talk
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!