lululemon athletica (LULU) Tops Q4 EPS by 9c, Revenues Beat; Offers 1Q & FY21 EPS/Revenue Outlook
- Wall Street ends week positively; S&P 500, Dow hit record highs
- Bitcoin (BTC) Drops 3% as Turkey Bans Cryptocurrency Payments Citing Lack of Regulatory Supervision
- Morgan Stanley (MS) Archegos-Related Loss Appears to be $911M
- Dollar at 4-week low on retreating Treasury yields
- J&J (JNJ) Privately Asked Rival Covid-19 Vaccine Makers to Inspect Clotting Risks, AstraZeneca (AZN) Said Yes but Pfizer (PFE) and Moderna (MRNA) Declined - Report
Get instant alerts when news breaks on your stocks. Claim your 1-week free trial to StreetInsider Premium here.
lululemon athletica (NASDAQ: LULU) reported Q4 EPS of $2.58, $0.09 better than the analyst estimate of $2.49. Revenue for the quarter came in at $1.7 billion versus the consensus estimate of $1.66 billion.
For the fourth quarter of 2020, compared to the fourth quarter of 2019:
- Net revenue increased 24% to $1.7 billion. On a constant dollar basis, net revenue increased 22%.
- Net revenue increased 21% in North America and increased 47% internationally.
- Total comparable sales increased 21%, or increased 20% on a constant dollar basis.
- Direct to consumer net revenue increased 94%, or increased 92% on a constant dollar basis.
- Comparable store productivity was 72%, or 71% on a constant dollar basis, representing a comparable store sales decrease of 28%, or a decrease of 29% on a constant dollar basis.
- Direct to consumer net revenue represented 52% of total net revenue compared to 33% for the fourth quarter of 2019.
- Gross profit increased 25% to $1.0 billion, and gross margin increased 60 basis points to 58.6%.
- Income from operations increased 10% to $457.9 million. Adjusted income from operations increased 12% to $465.7 million.
- Operating margin decreased 330 basis points to 26.5%. Adjusted operating margin decreased 290 basis points to 26.9%.
- Income tax expense increased 5% to $127.2 million. The effective tax rate for the fourth quarter of 2020 was 27.8% compared to 28.8% for the fourth quarter of 2019. The adjusted effective tax rate was 27.4% for the fourth quarter of 2020.
- Diluted earnings per share were $2.52 compared to $2.28 in the fourth quarter of 2019. Adjusted diluted earnings per share for the fourth quarter of 2020 were $2.58.
- The Company opened six net new company-operated stores during the quarter, ending with 521 stores.
Calvin McDonald, Chief Executive Officer, stated: "I'm proud of how we navigated this past year and delivered for our employees, guests and shareholders. Our continued growth demonstrates the strength of lululemon -- before, during and as the pandemic subsides. We are still in the early innings of our growth, fueled by exciting innovations that create even more opportunity into the future. All of us on the leadership team have so much gratitude for our teams and their agility during these unprecedented times."
Meghan Frank, Chief Financial Officer, stated: "In response to the COVID-19 pandemic, our teams reacted quickly to ensure we met the evolving needs of our guests. We pulled forward investments in our direct-to-consumer channel, completed our first acquisition, and tightly managed expenses while also supporting our people. These measures contributed to our strong fourth quarter results, including growing revenue by 24%, and are helping fuel our even stronger top-line growth projections for 2021. I'd like to thank our teams around the globe for their dedication to lululemon and I'm confident in the long-term trajectory of our business."
lululemon athletica sees Q1 2021 EPS of $0.81-$0.85, versus the consensus of $0.82. lululemon athletica sees Q1 2021 revenue of $1.1-1.13 billion, versus the consensus of $999.54 billion.
lululemon athletica sees FY2021 EPS of $6.30-$6.45, versus the consensus of $4.58. lululemon athletica sees FY2021 revenue of $5.55-5.65 billion, versus the consensus of $4.33 billion.
- For the first quarter of fiscal 2021, we expect net revenue to be in the range of $1.100 billion to $1.130 billion. Diluted earnings per share are expected to be in the range of $0.81 to $0.85 for the quarter and adjusted earnings per share are expected to be in the range of $0.86 to $0.90.
- For fiscal 2021, we expect net revenue to be in the range of $5.550 billion to $5.650 billion. Diluted earnings per share are expected to be in the range of $6.10 to $6.25 for the year and adjusted earnings per share are expected to be in the range of $6.30 to $6.45.
- The guidance and outlook forward-looking statements made in this press release are based on management's expectations as of the date of this press release and does not incorporate future unknown impacts from the spread of COVID-19. While most of the Company's retail locations are currently open, tighter capacity restrictions and other precautionary measures are in place in most markets. Further resurgences in COVID-19, including from variants could cause additional restrictions, including temporarily closing all or some of our retail locations again, result in lower consumer demand, and cause disruption in our supply chain. The Company undertakes no duty to update or to continue to provide information with respect to any forward-looking statements or risk factors, whether as a result of new information or future events or circumstances or otherwise. Actual results and the timing of events could differ materially from those anticipated in these forward-looking statements as a result of risks and uncertainties, including those stated below.
For earnings history and earnings-related data on lululemon athletica (LULU) click here.
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- Citizens Financial Group (CFG) Tops Q1 EPS by 44c
- GM (GM) and LG Energy Solution Investing $2.3 Billion in 2nd Ultium Cells Manufacturing Plant in U.S.
- Paya Holdings Inc. (PAYA) Announces Oni Chukwu to Board
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesCorporate News, Earnings, Guidance, Management Comments
Related EntitiesEarnings, Definitive Agreement
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!