WD-40 Co. (WDFC) Tops Q4 EPS by 2c; Provides FY20 EPS Guidance Below Consensus
- Wall Street ends volatile week sharply higher
- Disney (DIS) Dips As Streaming Business Shows Signs of Slowing Down, Analysts 'Very Bullish' on LT Opportunity
- Airbnb (ABNB) Bookings Up 52% to Help Sales Beat, Seen as a 'Blow Out Quarter' as More Upside is Left
- DoorDash (DASH) Reports Bigger Loss and a Sales Beat, Shares Soars on Strong Guidance and Two Upgrades to 'Buy'
- Coinbase (COIN) To Add Dogecoin Trading in the Next Few Weeks
Get instant alerts when news breaks on your stocks. Claim your 1-week free trial to StreetInsider Premium here.
WD-40 Co. (NASDAQ: WDFC) reported Q4 EPS of $0.63, $0.02 better than the analyst estimate of $0.61. Revenue for the quarter came in at $106.74 million versus the consensus estimate of $106.33 million.
Financial Highlights and Summary
- Total net sales for the fourth quarter were $106.7 million, an increase of 4 percent compared to the prior year fiscal quarter. For the full fiscal year, total net sales were $423.4 million, also an increase of 4 percent compared to the prior fiscal year.
- Translation of the Company's foreign subsidiary results to U.S. dollars had an unfavorable impact on sales for the current quarter and full fiscal year. On a constant currency basis, total net sales would have been $109.2 million for the fourth quarter and $433.8 million for the full fiscal year.
- Net income for the fourth quarter was $8.6 million, a decrease of 60 percent compared to the prior year fiscal quarter. For the full fiscal year, net income was $55.9 million, a decrease of 14 percent from the prior fiscal year.
- Diluted earnings per share were $0.63 in the fourth quarter, compared to $1.54 per share for the prior year fiscal quarter. For the full fiscal year, diluted earnings per share were $4.02 compared to $4.64 in the prior fiscal year.
- Gross margin was 54.6 percent in the fourth quarter compared to 55.2 percent in the prior year fiscal quarter. For the full fiscal year, gross margin was 54.9 percent compared to 55.1 percent in the prior fiscal year.
- Selling, general and administrative expenses were down 3 percent in the fourth quarter to $28.7 million when compared to the prior year fiscal quarter. Selling, general and administrative expenses for the full fiscal year were up 2 percent to $123.9 million compared to the prior fiscal year.
- Advertising and sales promotion expenses were down 9 percent in the fourth quarter to $5.9 million when compared to the prior year fiscal quarter. Advertising and sales promotion expenses for the full fiscal year were up 4 percent to $23.3 million compared to the prior fiscal year.
"In the fourth quarter, net income and diluted earnings per share were negatively impacted by an $8.7 million reserve for an uncertain tax position that we recorded, and previously disclosed, during the fourth quarter," said Jay Rembolt, WD-40 Company's chief financial officer. "Because of this adjustment, our net income is significantly lower on a year-over-year basis in both the quarter and the full fiscal year. The good news is that this a one-time charge and the high tax rate we recorded is not expected to carry into fiscal year 2020. We expect the provision for income tax to be between 20 and 22 percent in fiscal year 2020," concluded Rembolt.
WD-40 Company's chief executive officer, Garry Ridge added, "We are pleased that we achieved sales results in fiscal year 2019 which reflect another solid year for the Company. Our maintenance products delivered solid sales increases in the full fiscal year including 4 percent growth of WD-40 Multi-Use Product and 13 percent growth of WD-40 Specialist. I'd like to thank the tribe for their contributions during fiscal year 2019. The tribe has never been more aligned and focused. We are clear about our purpose and we know what we need to do to achieve our long-term goals."
WD-40 Co. sees FY2020 EPS of $4.74-$4.83, versus the consensus of $4.96.
Fiscal Year 2020 Guidance The Company issued the following guidance for fiscal year 2020:
- Net sales growth is projected to be between 3 and 7 percent with net sales expected to be between $436 million and $453 million.
- Gross margin percentage for the full year is expected to be between 54 and 55 percent.
- Advertising and promotion investments are projected to be between 5.5 and 6.0 percent of net sales.
- The provision for income tax is expected to be between 20 and 22 percent.
- Net income is projected to be between $65.0 million and $66.2 million.
- Diluted earnings per share is expected to be between $4.74 and $4.83 based on an estimated 13.7 million weighted average shares outstanding.
This guidance is expressed in good faith and is believed by the Company to have a reasonable basis; however, it is not possible to predict with a reasonable degree of certainty the actual impact of fluctuating foreign currency exchange rates, and these currency fluctuations may have a significant impact on the Company's fiscal year 2020 guidance. This guidance does not include any future acquisitions or divestitures and assumes that crude oil prices will remain close to current levels for the remainder of fiscal year 2020.
For earnings history and earnings-related data on WD-40 Co. (WDFC) click here.
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- Limbach Holdings (LMB) Misses Q1 EPS by 22c, Revenues Miss; Offers FY21 Revenues Guidance Below Consensus
- Ever-Glory (EVK) Reports Q1 Loss of $0.08 on Revenues of $70.8M
- Inpixon (INPX) Reports Q1 Loss of $0.08, Revenues Miss
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesCorporate News, Earnings, Guidance, Hot Earnings, Hot Guidance, Management Comments
Related EntitiesCrude Oil, Earnings
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!