Tesla (TSLA) Found Guilty of Throttling Speeds at Supercharging Stations
- S&P 500 ends lower after another wild ride
- Apple (AAPL) Tops Q1 EPS by 21c; Revenues Beat
- Visa (V) Shares Up 3% on Strong Q1 Beat
- 'An EV Cash Machine': Tesla (TSLA) Beats on Revenue and Profit But Supply Chain Warning Sends Shares Lower, Analysts Positive and Raise Numbers
- Western Digital (WDC) Shares Dropped 10% Despite Q2 Beat
Get inside Wall Street with StreetInsider Premium. Claim your 1-week free trial here.
Tesla (NASDAQ: TSLA) has been found guilty of slowing down the supercharging speed of its Model S vehicles and has been ordered to pay $14,000 to affected car owners in Norway. Only Model S vehicles with 85 kWh battery packs seemed to be affected at that point. The 85kWh battery packs were discontinued in 2016. For most owners, the range drop happened after updating to Tesla’s 2019.16.1 and .2 software updates.
Tesla has indicated that they plan on appealing the decision.
Tesla owner, David Rasmussen, told reporters in 2019, “My 2014 Model S 85 was getting Rated Range of 247 miles until May 13. Now after the next update, it continued to drop to now 217 miles. This is an 11% drop in 5 weeks.”
Tesla admitted to marginally increasing charging time, and changes in the use of superchargers, but stated that customers were not entitled to any given charging pattern. Tesla claims that the update was carried out to increase the life of the cars. The electric vehicle maker released a new update to fix the range issue, yet a lot of owners still said that the Supercharging speed was very low.
Christian Hagen, the plaintiffs’ lawyer, said “My clients are satisfied that the conciliation council assumed that Tesla had reduced the charging speed, and that they did not have access to make this change. Our assessment is that the verdict is correct. However, since Tesla has signaled that they will take the case to the district court, it is not natural to comment on the case further.”
By Michael Elkins | Michael.Elkins@streetinsider.com
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- Tesla (TSLA) option IV elevated as shares sell off 9.5%
- Pre-Open Stock Movers 01/27: (GLPG) (NOW) (XM) Higher; (EPZM) (LC) (ZYME) Lower (more...)
- PyroGenesis Canada (PYR) Announces Factory Acceptance Test for Plasma Torches Scheduled with Client A
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesCorporate News
Related EntitiesTesla, Michael Elkins
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!