SoftBank Establishes $25B Tech Fund in Partnership with Saudi Arabia; Fund Could Reach $100B
- Wall Street ekes out gains to close languid week
- 'Faster than Porsche but Safer than Volvo': Tesla (TSLA) Begins Model S Plaid Deliveries, Priced Between $131,100 and $145,600
- Oil hits multi-year highs in third weekly gain on demand recovery
- Snowflake (SNOW) Falls Following Investor Day Despite Strong Guidance, Analysts Bullish But Say Investors May Have Wanted More
- Dollar looks stronger as euro and sterling dip
News and research before you hear about it on CNBC and others. Claim your 1-week free trial to StreetInsider Premium here.
SoftBank Group Corp. today announced that it will form SoftBank Vision Fund. The Fund intends to make investments in the technology sector globally. The Fund will be managed in the United Kingdom by a subsidiary of SBG and will deploy capital from SBG and investment partners. The Fund will aim to be one of the world’s largest of its kind*.
SBG expects to invest at least USD 25 billion over the next 5 years. SBG has concluded a non-binding memorandum of understanding (“MOU”) on October 12, 2016 with the Public Investment Fund of the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia (“PIF”), under which PIF will consider investing in the Fund and becoming the lead investment partner, with the potential investment size of up to USD 45 billion over the next five years. In addition, a few large global investors are in active dialogue to join SBG and PIF to participate in this Fund. The overall potential size of the Fund can go up to USD 100 billion.
SBG will use its deep operational expertise and network of portfolio companies in order to add value to the Fund’s investments.
His Royal Highness, Deputy Crown Prince Mohammed Bin Salman, Chairman of PIF, commented as follows: “The Public Investment Fund is focused on achieving attractive long-term financial returns from its investments at home and abroad, as well as supporting the Kingdom’s Vision 2030 strategy to develop a diversified economy. We are delighted to sign this MOU with SBG given the long history, established industry relationships and strong investment performance of SBG and Masayoshi Son.”
Masayoshi Son, Chairman & CEO of SoftBank Group Corp., commented on the establishment of the Fund as follows: “With the establishment of the SoftBank Vision Fund, we will be able to step up investments in technology companies globally. Over the next decade, the SoftBank Vision Fund will be the biggest investor in the technology sector. We will further accelerate the Information Revolution by contributing to its development.”
Rajeev Misra, Head of Strategic Finance, SoftBank Group, is leading the Fund project for SBG. SBG has engaged former Deutsche banker Nizar Al-Bassam and ex-Goldman partner Dalinc Ariburnu for the project. PIF also had its own team of experts engaged. 2 About the Public Investment Fund (PIF)
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- 'A Major, Game-Changing Development': Sinclair Broadcast (SBGI) in Talks to Raise Over $250 Million For a New Sports Streaming Service: Report
- California Water Service's (CWT) Hawaii Water Service to Acquire HOH Utilities Company
- Iconix Brand Group (ICON) to be Acquired in $3.15/Share “Go Private” Transaction
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesCorporate News, Hedge Funds, Private Equity, Trader Talk
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!