Silvergate Capital (SI) Tops Q3 EPS by 15c
- Nasdaq closes up on tech stocks strength, as hawkish Fed limits S&P
- Dollar surges to two-month high on Fed rate-hike projection
- BofA Fund Manager Survey: 72% Says Inflation 'Transitory', 63% Expect Fed to Signal Taper Aug/Sept, 'Long Commodities' Now the Most Crowded Trade
- Oil falls from multi-year highs on firmer dollar, hike in UK COVID cases
- People Are Spending More Time Outdoors, Which Will Hurt Netflix (NFLX) This Quarter - KeyBanc
Get inside Wall Street with StreetInsider Premium. Claim your 1-week free trial here.
Silvergate Capital (NYSE: SI) reported Q3 EPS of $0.37, $0.15 better than the analyst estimate of $0.22.
Third Quarter 2020 Financial Highlights
- Net income for the quarter was $7.1 million, or $0.37 per diluted share, compared to net income of $5.5 million, or $0.29 per diluted share, for the second quarter of 2020, and net income of $6.7 million, or $0.36 per diluted share, for the third quarter of 2019
- The Silvergate Exchange Network (“SEN”) handled 68,361 transactions in the third quarter of 2020, an increase of 70%, compared to 40,286 transactions in the second quarter of 2020, and an increase of 455% compared to 12,312 transactions in the third quarter of 2019
- The SEN handled $36.7 billion of U.S. dollar transfers in the third quarter, an increase of 64% compared to $22.4 billion in the second quarter of 2020, and an increase of 252% compared to $10.4 billion in the third quarter of 2019
- Digital currency customer related fee income for the quarter was $3.3 million, compared to $2.4 million for the second quarter of 2020, and $1.6 million for the third quarter of 2019
- Digital currency customers grew to 928 at September 30, 2020, compared to 881 at June 30, 2020, and 756 at September 30, 2019
- Digital currency deposits grew by $586.0 million to $2.1 billion as of September 30, 2020, compared to $1.5 billion as of June 30, 2020
- At September 30, 2020, outstanding loan deferrals related to COVID-19 was 4.4% of total gross loans held-for-investment compared to 15.5% at June 30, 2020
- Book value per share was $15.18 at September 30, 2020, compared to $14.36 at June 30, 2020, and $12.92 at September 30, 2019
- The Company’s total risk-based capital ratio was 24.68% at September 30, 2020, compared to 25.54% at June 30, 2020 and 25.97% at September 30, 2019
Alan Lane, president and chief executive officer of Silvergate, commented, “Our third quarter results clearly demonstrate the accelerating customer adoption of the Silvergate Exchange Network that we continue to experience as the SEN handled 68,361 transactions in the quarter, a 70% sequential increase from the 2020 second quarter and a 455% increase as compared to the 2019 third quarter. This strong growth contributed to the 106% increase in digital currency fee income of $3.3 million in the third quarter as compared to $1.6 million in the year ago third quarter. We also achieved an important milestone at the conclusion of the quarter as the SEN has handled $100 billion in transfer volumes just three years after its creation and introduction to the digital currency industry, which clearly demonstrates its value and importance to the digital currency ecosystem.”
Mr. Lane continued, “Today, as an industry leader and innovator, our team continues to provide uninterrupted banking access for our customers with 95% of our employees working remotely. The Bank’s infrastructure has provided Silvergate with the foundation to succeed in what has become a very digital world and we see an ample runway for further growth given the numerous opportunities to expand the value of the SEN through new product development. One such example is SEN leverage which has completed its initial pilot phase with approved lines of credit totaling $35.5 million, up from $22.5 million in the second quarter. We envision a significant growth trajectory with SEN leverage and will judiciously expand credit availability to our customers over time. In conclusion, Silvergate continues to perform at a very high level as the network effect and competitive barriers of the SEN further expand, the credit metrics of our loan portfolio remain strong, and the Bank remains well capitalized, with a strong liquidity position, to support future growth.”
For earnings history and earnings-related data on Silvergate Capital (SI) click here.
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- RumbleOn Inc. (RMBL) Appoints Peter Levy, the Company’s Chief Operating Officer, to its Board of Directors
- RumbleOn Inc. (RMBL) Appoints Beverly Rath as Interim Chief Financial Officer and Controller
- VivoPower (VVPR) Completes $120m Definitive Canadian Distribution Agreement for Tembo Electric Light Vehicles
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesCorporate News, Earnings, Management Comments
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!