PTC Therapeutics (PTCT) Granted FDA 10/24/17 PDUFA Date for Translarna
- Stocks roar higher as traders park COVID and Fed jitters
- Jim Paulsen Sees Correction Exceeding 10%, Sees Cyclicals, Small and Mid Caps Outperforming Large Caps and Tech
- Apple (AAPL) iPhone 13 Lead Times Easing as Supply Chain Improves - UBS
- Salesforce (CRM) Shares Plunge on Weaker Profit Guidance, Bull Thesis Remains Intact Says Analyst
- Oil prices climb over 4% ahead of OPEC meeting despite Omicron concerns
News and research before you hear about it on CNBC and others. Claim your 1-week free trial to StreetInsider Premium here.
PTC Therapeutics, Inc. (NASDAQ: PTCT) today announced that the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has acknowledged the filing over protest of PTC's New Drug Application (NDA) for Translarna™ (ataluren), an oral, first-in-class, protein restoration therapy for the treatment of nonsense mutation Duchenne muscular dystrophy (nmDMD). The Company is seeking approval to market the drug for the treatment of nmDMD patients in the United States. Translarna received marketing authorization for patients with nmDMD in the European Union in August 2014 and is now available in over 25 countries.
The FDA has granted standard review and assigned a Prescription Drug User Fee Act (PDUFA) date of October 24, 2017. The PDUFA date is the target date for the FDA to complete its review of the NDA.
"We look forward to working closely with the FDA and the DMD community to bring this much-needed therapy to patients," said Stuart W. Peltz, Ph.D., Chief Executive Officer, PTC Therapeutics, Inc. "We believe that the totality of clinical data in our NDA, which includes the results of two of the largest placebo-controlled DMD clinical trials ever conducted, demonstrates Translarna's benefits to patients and merits a full and fair review by the FDA, including an advisory committee meeting."
Primarily affecting males, Duchenne muscular dystrophy is a progressive muscle disorder caused by the lack of functional dystrophin protein. Dystrophin is critical to the structural stability of skeletal, diaphragm, and heart muscles. Patients with DMD lose the ability to walk in their early teens and experience life-threatening lung and heart complications in their late teens and twenties. It is estimated that nonsense mutations account for approximately 13% of DMD cases.
PTC used the FDA's file over protest regulations to file the NDA. These regulations allow a company to have its NDA filed and reviewed following receipt of a refuse to file determination.
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- BioXcel Therapeutics (BTAI) Announces Extension of FDA Review Period of its NDA for BXCL501 for the Acute Treatment of Agitation Associated with Schizophrenia and Bipolar Disorders
- Merck (MRK), Ridgeback Confirm FDA Advisory Committee Voted 13-10 in Favor of COVID-19 Antiviral Drug Molnupiravir
- Fennec Pharmaceuticals (FENC) Receives CRL From the FDA for PEDMARK
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesCorporate News, FDA, Hot FDA News, Trader Talk
Related EntitiesPDUFA, AdCom, FDA
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!