Nissan and Mitsubishi to invest in Renault’s EV unit Ampere
- S&P 500, Nasdaq close at fresh records on AI boost, easing yields
- Goldman removes Apple stock from 'US Conviction List - Directors' Cut'
- Boeing in talks to acquire Spirit AeroSystems, analysts discuss 'negative' financial benefits
- Stocks climb, yields fall as data supports rate cut bets
- Dell tops estimates on boost from AI-led server demand, shares jump premarket
Nissan and Mitsubishi announced Wednesday, plans to invest in long-standing partner, Renault’s electric vehicle unit called Ampere. The two automakers confirmed plans to use Ampere to develop EVs for the European market.
Following years of tense collaboration, the recent announcement confirms a new, more streamlined alliance among the trio of automakers, placing a stronger emphasis on regional collaboration.
Specifically, Nissan and Mitsubishi have confirmed their individual commitments to invest up to 600 million euros ($647.46 million) and 200 million euros, respectively, into Ampere. This division, carved out from Renault, is scheduled for a public listing in the coming year.
Makoto Uchida, CEO of the Japanese carmaker, outlined Nissan's intention to become a "strategic investor" in Ampere. He expressed interest in potentially leveraging the EV unit's software and connectivity advancements in markets beyond Europe, indicating a broader application of these innovations.
"Developing electric vehicles all over the world alone would be very challenging," said Uchida.
Ampere will undertake the development and production of an electric variant of the compact Nissan Micra tailored for the European market. Additionally, the company will focus on creating a medium-sized electric SUV specifically designed for Mitsubishi.
Ampere CEO, Luca de Meo stated that his company will cut the costs for the Micra for Nissan by up to 50%.
The alliance partners also affirmed their collaborative ventures in Latin America and India.
By Michael Elkins | [email protected]
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- Boeing (BA) Issues Statement on Talks with Spirit AeroSystems (SPR)
- Autodesk (ADSK) shares jump on Q4 beat and double-digit revenue growth guide
- Splash Beverage (SBEV) Appoints John Paglia to its Board
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesCorporate News, Hot List, Management Comments
Related EntitiesMichael Elkins
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!