Netflix (NFLX) Offers Update to Open Source Program
- S&P, Dow futures edge higher ahead of inflation data
- U.S. Calls for Pause of J&J (JNJ) Vaccine After Clotting Cases, Including One Death
- Biggest SPAC Deal Ever: Grab To Go Public in a $40 Billion Merger With Altimeter (AGC), Backed by Fidelity and BlackRock
- Oil prices tick up after robust China data
- Bitcoin (BTC) Price Soars 5% to Fresh Record Highs Ahead of Coinbase IPO
Netflix (NASDAQ: NFLX) posted the following to its Tech blog on Wednesday:
Fast forward to today. We have over fifty open source projects, ranging from infrastructural platform components to big data tools to deployment automation. Over time, our OSS site became very busy with more and more components piling on. Now, even more components are on the path to being open.
While many of our OSS projects are being successfully used across many companies all over the world, we got a very clear signal from the community that it was getting harder to figure out which projects were useful for a particular company or a team; which were fully independent; and which were coupled together. The external community was also unclear about which components we (Netflix) continued to invest and support, and which were in maintenance or sunset mode. That feedback was very useful to us, as we’re committed in making our OSS Program a success.
- Clear separation of categories. Looking for Build and Delivery tools? You shouldn’t have to wade through many unrelated projects to find them.
- With the new overview section of each category we can now explain in short form how each project should be used in concert with other projects. With the old “box art” layout, it wasn’t clear how the projects fit together (or if they did) in a way that provided more value when used together.
- Categories now match our internal infrastructure engineering organization. This means that the context within each category will reflect the approach to engineering within the specific technical area. Also, we have appointed category leaders internally that will help keep each category well maintained across projects within that area.
- Clear highlighting of the projects we’re actively investing and supporting. If you see the project on the site - it’s under active development and maintenance. If you don’t see it - it may be either in maintenance only or sunset mode. We’ll be providing more transparency on that shortly.
- Support for multi-repo projects. We have several big projects that are about to be Open Sourced. Each one will consist of many Github repos. The old site would list each of the repos, thus making the overall navigation even less usable. The new site allows us to group the relevant repos together under a single project
- Provide full transparency on which projects are archived - i.e. no longer actively developed or maintained. We will not be removing any code from Github repos, but will articulate if we’re no longer actively developing or using a particular project. Netflix needs change over time, and this will affect and reflect our OSS projects.
- Provide a better roadmap for what new projects we are planning to open, and which Open projects are still in the state of heavy flux (evolution). This will allow the community to better decide whether particular projects are interesting / useful.
- Expose some of the internal metrics we use to evaluate our OSS projects - number of issues, commits, etc. This will provide better transparency of the maturity / velocity of each project.
- Documentation. Documentation. Documentation.
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- Netflix (NFLX) in deal with Sony for movie rights, including upcoming Spider-Man films - WSJ
- Turning Point Therapeutics Inc. (TPTX) Commences Global Phase 1/2 Forge-1 Clinical Study of TPX-0131
- Simulations Plus (SLP) Tops Q2 EPS by 1c, Revenues Beat
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesCorporate News, Insiders' Blog
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!