NI (NATI) Acquired by Emerson (EMR) for $60/sh or $8.2B
- Wall St set for weak open as traders await policy cues from Fed speakers
- Barclays raises 2024 S&P 500 price target but warns stocks are 'moving too far, too fast'
- Amazon is now the biggest delivery business in the U.S. - WSJ
- Stocks hold firm as dollar dithers ahead of US data
- Micron (MU) raises forecast on improved supply/demand balance and pricing
Emerson (NYSE: EMR) and NI (Nasdaq: NATI) today announced that they have entered into a definitive agreement under which Emerson will acquire NI for
NI provides software-connected automated test and measurement systems that enable enterprises to bring products to market faster and at a lower cost. NI's solutions help customers solve current and future test challenges and improve speed and efficiency in their product development cycles. NI had
"We are pleased to reach an agreement with NI, whose best-in-class test and measurement product and software offerings accelerate Emerson's progress toward a cohesive, higher growth and higher margin automation portfolio," said Lal Karsanbhai, President and Chief Executive Officer of Emerson. "With this expansion into test and measurement, Emerson will enhance its automation capabilities and gain a broader set of customers that relies on NI's solutions at critical points along the product development cycle. These capabilities provide Emerson industry diversification into attractive and growing discrete markets like semiconductor and electronics, transportation and electric vehicles, and aerospace and defense that are poised to benefit from secular growth trends. NI's business is well-aligned with our vision for automation and we look forward to working together to bring more comprehensive and innovative solutions to our customers, accelerate growth and position Emerson to deliver significant shareholder value."
"Over the past several months, we've been evaluating strategic options for the future of our business with the intent to maximize its value," said
Compelling Strategic and Financial Rationale
- Balanced and Diversified End Markets: With favorable long-term trends and an estimated priority total addressable market of
$35 billion, the test and measurement market is fast-growing, highly complementary and one of the four priority adjacencies Emerson presented at its 2022 Investor Conference. The transaction is expected to drive value creation and advance Emerson's position as a global automation leader by expanding and diversifying its customer base within highly attractive end markets. With a diversified end market mix including semiconductor and electronics, transportation, and aerospace and defense, NI is expected to be well positioned to capitalize on megatrends that offer attractive growth opportunities. In markets like semiconductor and electric vehicle manufacturing, NI expands Emerson's reach into the design and validation phase of the lifecycle, providing early access to customers. Overall, NI will increase Emerson's end market exposure in discrete markets to 18% of sales, which will be Emerson's second largest industry segment.
- Complementary Software and Innovation Capabilities: NI's technology stack of industry-leading intelligent devices, controls and software complements Emerson's own technology stack and will accelerate Emerson's efforts to create a higher value, cohesive industrial technology portfolio. NI's flexible and modular system-level test solutions have an open and interoperable software platform, a key differentiator that enables customers to continually evolve and automate their test processes in increasingly complex and fast-changing end markets. With 20% of sales in software, NI also increases Emerson's exposure to high-growth industrial software opportunities. Both Emerson and NI share innovation-focused engineering cultures. With Emerson's proven track record of innovation and successful new product launches, the combined company will be able to accelerate and expand the development of innovative offerings for customers leveraging the complementary expertise of both organizations.
- Delivers Substantial Synergies: Emerson has identified
$165 millionof cost synergy opportunities by the end of year 5 through application of best practices from the Emerson Management System. Emerson intends to drive productivity improvements and streamline duplicative costs across general and administrative, sales and marketing, and research and development functions, while leveraging Emerson's scale in manufacturing and supply chain. Additional opportunities to enhance NI's free cash flow generation will be pursued through proven operational excellence and productivity levers.
- Strong Financial Profile and Attractive Returns for Shareholders: The transaction is expected to be immediately accretive to adjusted EPS and Emerson's long-term financial targets outlined at Emerson's 2022 Investor Conference. NI's strong positions in attractive and growing markets are expected to deliver sustainable underlying growth aligned to Emerson's 4-7% through-the-cycle underlying growth target. NI also brings significant recurring revenue and immediate gross margin accretion to the combined Emerson portfolio. The combination of strong growth, attractive gross margins and the synergy potential to expand operating margins all contribute to returns in line with Emerson's communicated returns criteria.
- Unites Aligned Company Cultures: NI's innovation and problem-solving focused culture is highly complementary with Emerson's purpose-driven culture focused on innovation. Employees will have expanded opportunities for career development and advancement within Emerson.
Transaction Terms & Approvals
The transaction has been approved by the Boards of Directors of both Emerson and NI. Under the terms of the agreement, NI shareholders will receive
The transaction is expected to close in the first half of Emerson's fiscal 2024, subject to the completion of customary closing conditions, including regulatory approvals and approval by NI shareholders. Emerson expects to finance the transaction using available cash and liquidity, including approximately
Emerson Reaffirms Second Quarter 2023 Guidance
Investor Conference Call and Presentation
Emerson management will discuss the transaction during an investor conference call today,
NI plans to release its first quarter fiscal year 2023 results after market close on
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- UK's CMA Says Adobe's (ADBE) Figma deal could harm UK digital design sector
- These 10 leading companies talked about AI the most on their earnings calls
- Red Cat (RCAT) announces George Matus has been appointed as Chief Technology Officer
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesCorporate News, Hot Corp. News, Hot M&A, Mergers and Acquisitions
Related EntitiesGoldman Sachs, Layoffs, Earnings, Definitive Agreement
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!