Musk Says Tesla (TSLA) Will Open Supercharger Network to Other EVs 'Later This Year'
- Wall Street surges to all-time closing high on earnings, economic revival
- Was Intel's (INTC) Second Quarter a Speedbump or Inflection?
- Twitter (TWTR) Gains After Beating Q2 Estimates, Analysts Raise PTs as Brand Recovery Accelerates
- U.S. dollar on track for second week of gains; Fed meeting in focus
- Snap (SNAP) Surges 17% After Smashing Q2 Views Across the Board to Yield a Dozen Price Target Hikes
Image via Tesla.com
Get instant alerts when news breaks on your stocks. Claim your 1-week free trial to StreetInsider Premium here.
Tesla (NASDAQ: TSLA) CEO Elon Musk wrote on Twitter Tuesday, that the company plans on opening its Supercharger network to other electric vehicles later this year. The electric-car maker's fast-charging network, with over 25,000 superchargers globally, has given it a competitive edge.
“We created our own connector, as there was no standard back then & Tesla was only maker of long range electric cars. It’s one fairly slim connector for both low & high power charging. That said, we’re making our Supercharger network open to other EVs later this year.” - Elon Musk
President Joe Biden's administration on Thursday embraced a bipartisan Senate deal to spend $1.2 trillion on infrastructure projects, including $7.5 billion on EV infrastructure, including charging stations. In a 2018 report, consultancy firm McKinsey estimated that the United States will need about $11 billion of capital investment by 2030 to deploy the 13 million chargers needed for the country's EVs.
"Effective legislation should include investments in charging infrastructure, particularly in urban areas and along highway corridors, that will help give consumers even more confidence to buy electric," GM said in a statement.
Ford said in a statement it was "encouraging" to see bipartisan progress on overdue investments in infrastructure.
"We hope the final product will enable and accelerate that shift" to zero-emission vehicles, the company said.
By Michael Elkins | Michael.Elkins@streetinsider.com
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- Tesla (TSLA) July weekly option implied volatility flat into quarter results
- Biogen (BIIB) to Present Data from ADUHELM and Alzheimer’s Disease Portfolio at 2021 Alzheimer’s Association International Conference
- AgeX Therapeutics Inc. (AGE) and LyGenesis Terminate Merger Negotiations
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesCorporate News, Management Comments
Related EntitiesTwitter, Tesla, Michael Elkins
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!