M&T Bank Corp. (MTB) to Acquire People's United Financial (PBCT) in All-Stock Deal
- Wall Street ends week positively; S&P 500, Dow hit record highs
- Bitcoin (BTC) Drops 3% as Turkey Bans Cryptocurrency Payments Citing Lack of Regulatory Supervision
- Morgan Stanley (MS) Archegos-Related Loss Appears to be $911M
- Dollar at 4-week low on retreating Treasury yields
- J&J (JNJ) Privately Asked Rival Covid-19 Vaccine Makers to Inspect Clotting Risks, AstraZeneca (AZN) Said Yes but Pfizer (PFE) and Moderna (MRNA) Declined - Report
News and research before you hear about it on CNBC and others. Claim your 1-week free trial to StreetInsider Premium here.
(Updated - February 22, 2021 7:06 AM EST)
M&T Bank Corporation (NYSE: MTB) and People's United Financial, Inc. (NASDAQ: PBCT) announced today that they have entered into a definitive agreement under which M&T will acquire People's United in an all-stock transaction.
The combined company will create a diversified, community-focused banking franchise with approximately $200 billion in assets and a network of more than 1,100 branches and over 2,000 ATMs that spans 12 states from Maine to Virginia and the District of Columbia. The combined franchise will operate across some of the most populated and attractive banking markets in the U.S. As part of the transaction, People's United's current headquarters in Bridgeport, Connecticut will become the New England regional headquarters for M&T, further strengthening the combined company's commitment to Connecticut and the region.
Under the terms of the agreement, People's United shareholders will receive 0.118 of a share of M&T common stock for each People's United share they own. Following completion of the transaction, former People's United shareholders will collectively own approximately 28% of the combined company. The implied total transaction value based on closing prices on February 19, 2021 is approximately $7.6 billion.
"In People's United, we have found a partner with an equally long history of serving and supporting customers, businesses and communities," said René Jones, chairman and chief executive officer of M&T, who will lead the combined company in the same capacity. "Combining our common legacies and our complementary footprints will strengthen our ability to serve our communities and customers, and provide solutions that make a difference in people's lives. I am incredibly excited about this opportunity and look forward to welcoming new customers and team members to our M&T family."
"M&T is a like-minded partner that shares our culture of supporting communities by focusing on building meaningful relationships and providing personalized products, services and local market expertise to customers, while building on our legacy of excellence in service," said Jack Barnes, chairman and chief executive officer of People's United. "The merger extends our reach by providing customers access to a larger banking network and an expanded array of services. I am confident our shared community banking philosophies will provide significant long-term value for our shareholders, employees and loyal customers."
Key attractions of the proposed transaction
- Unique strategic position and enhanced platform for growth: The merger will create the leading community-focused commercial bank in the Northeast and Mid-Atlantic regions, with the scale and share to compete effectively. The two companies have a complementary top-tier deposit share in core markets with a top three share in most of their respective top 10 markets. The footprint of the combined company spans an economically diverse region that accounts for over 20% of the U.S. population and over 25% of U.S. GDP.
- Shared commitment to local communities: Both companies have been long recognized for their community commitments and longstanding support of civic organizations. Over the past decade, M&T, through The M&T Charitable Foundation, has donated $263.7 million to over 2,800 nonprofit organizations across eight states and the District of Columbia. M&T Bank has been awarded the highest possible Community Reinvestment Act rating on every examination since 1982 from the Federal Reserve Bank of New York. People's United Community Foundation and People's United Community Foundation of Eastern Massachusetts has granted $40 million to nonprofits aligned with the Foundations' collective mission since its inception in 2007. Through the foundations, M&T will use $90 million to support charitable activities in the communities currently served by People's United.
- Compelling financial impacts: M&T expects the transaction to be immediately accretive to its tangible book value per share. It is further expected that the transaction will be 10-12% accretive to M&T's earnings per share in 2023, reflecting estimated annual cost synergies of approximately $330 million.
Upon closing, Jack Barnes, Kirk Walters and three other current members of the board of directors of People's United will join M&T's board of directors.
The merger has been unanimously approved by the boards of directors of each company. The merger is expected to close in the fourth quarter of 2021, subject to the satisfaction of customary closing conditions, including receipt of regulatory approvals and approval by the shareholders of each company.
Lazard acted as financial advisor to M&T in connection with the transaction and Sullivan & Cromwell LLP served as legal advisor. Keefe, Bruyette & Woods, a Stifel Company, served as lead financial advisor to People's United. J.P. Morgan Securities LLC also served as financial advisor, and Simpson Thacher & Bartlett LLP served as legal advisor to People's United.
Investor call and webcastM&T will hold a conference call today, February 22, 2021, at 8:00 a.m. ET to discuss today's announcement. A live webcast of the call and the replay will be available on the websites of M&T and People's United. A conference call replay will be available. To view details for the webcast, visit: https://ir.mtb.com/events-presentations. To listen to the live conference call, dial 800-459-5343 or 203- 518-9553 and reference the passcode Conference ID: MA529273. To access the replay, dial 800-283-4642 and reference the passcode Conference ID: MA529273.
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- Thermo Fisher Scientific (TMO) to Acquire PPD, Inc. (PPD) for $47.50/sh, $17.4 Billion
- MER Telemanagement Solutions (MTSL) Signs Definitive Merger Agreement with SharpLink
- RealPage's (RP) to be halted April 21 ahead of closing of merger, says Nasdaq
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesCorporate News, Hot Corp. News, Hot M&A, Mergers and Acquisitions, Trading Halts
Related EntitiesStifel, Keefe, Bruyette & Woods, JPMorgan, Lazard, Earnings, Definitive Agreement
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!