FDA approves Blueprint Medicines' (BPMC) avapritinib for advanced systemic mastocytosis
- Wall Street falls with Amazon; S&P 500 posts sixth straight month of gains
- Amazon (AMZN) Plunges After Missing Sales and Guidance Expectations, Analysts Slash PTs to Reflect Weaker Guidance
- Pinterest (PINS) Tops Profit and Sales Views, But Shares Plunges Over 20% on a Big Monthly User Miss to Prompt Two Downgrades
- 'I'm CEO.' New Book Outlines Merger Conversations Between Elon Musk and Tim Cook
- Bullard: Fed should taper this fall, go "fairly rapidly" to end early 2022
Get inside Wall Street with StreetInsider Premium. Claim your 1-week free trial here.
June 16, 2021, the Food and Drug Administration approved avapritinib (Ayvakit™, Blueprint Medicines Corp.) (NASDAQ: BPMC) for adult patients with advanced systemic mastocytosis (AdvSM), including patients with aggressive systemic mastocytosis (ASM), systemic mastocytosis with an associated hematological neoplasm (SM-AHN), and mast cell leukemia (MCL).
Efficacy was evaluated in EXPLORER (NCT02561988) and PATHFINDER (NCT03580655), two multi-center, single-arm, open-label clinical trials enrolling patients with AdvSM. The main efficacy outcome measure was overall response rate (ORR) per modified IWG-MRT-ECNM criteria, as adjudicated by a central committee. Additional efficacy measures were duration of response (DOR), time to response, and changes in individual measures of mast cell burden. Fifty-three patients received daily doses of avapritinib, up to 200 mg.
The ORR in all evaluable patients in both trials combined was 57% (95% CI: 42, 70) (n=53), with 28% complete remissions and 28% partial remissions. The median duration of response was 38.3 months (95% confidence interval: 19, not estimable) and the median time to response was 2.1 months.
The most common adverse reactions (incidence ≥ 20%) in patients with AdvSM were edema, diarrhea, nausea, and fatigue/asthenia.
Avapritinib is not recommended for the treatment of patients with AdvSM with platelet counts of less than 50 X 109/L.
The recommended avapritinib dose is 200 mg orally once daily for patients with AdvSM.
View full prescribing information for Ayvakit.
This application was granted priority review, breakthrough designation and orphan drug designation. A description of FDA expedited programs is in the Guidance for Industry: Expedited Programs for Serious Conditions-Drugs and Biologics.
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- Regeneron (REGN) Says FDA Expands Use of REGEN-COV
- Ardelyx (ARDX) Receives CRL from U.S. FDA for NDA for Tenapanor for the Control of Serum Phosphorus in Adult Patients with CKD on Dialysis
- Blueprint Medicines (BPMC) PT Lowered to $133 at SVB Leerink, Following Earnings
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesCorporate News, FDA, Hot FDA News
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!