Elon Musk: 'Cybertruck will be waterproof enough to serve briefly as a boat'
- Wall St slides as services data spooks investors about Fed rate hikes
- Dollar edges higher; euro retreats despite German data surprise
- Exclusive: Musk’s Neuralink faces federal probe, employee backlash over animal tests
- European stock futures edge lower; risk-off sentiment prevails
- Morgan Stanley's Wilson is a stock seller again as tactical rally plays out
Get inside Wall Street with StreetInsider Premium. Claim your 1-week free trial here.
Tesla (NASDAQ: TSLA) CEO, Elon Musk posted on Twitter (NYSE: TWTR) Thursday that the company’s much-anticipated Cybertruck will be “waterproof enough to serve briefly as a boat, so it can cross rivers, lakes & even seas that aren’t too choppy.”
Musk went on replying to his own tweet saying that the truck “Needs be able to get from Starbase to South Padre Island, which requires crossing the channel.”
The Cybertruck was first unveiled at Tesla’s Design Studio in Los Angeles in November of 2019. During the unveiling, Tesla claimed that the Cybertruck's "Armor Glass" windows were virtually unbreakable, but two windows shattered when Franz von Holzhausen threw a metal ball at each of them.
Regardless of the complications surrounding the unveiling, Tesla fans were still excited for the truck. Just days after the event Musk tweeted that Tesla had received 146,000 pre-orders in the first 1.5 days after the unveiling—each requiring a US$100 refundable deposit.
In April 2022 Elon Musk joined the new prototype of the Cybertruck onstage at the Cyber Rodeo Event in Texas, where he revealed a new detail, no door handles. Musk said that the truck can sense your approach and "just knows that it needs to open the doors." Additionally, Tesla has reportedly decided to allow the rear glass of the truck to drop, which would optimize the Cybertruck’s capability to carry cargo.
The company will be hosting it’s annual AI day Tomorrow, Friday September 30th. While most media outlets are focused on news surrounding Tesla’s humanoid robot, Optimus, and updates to the automaker’s Full Self-Driving program, it would not be unusual of for the billionaire CEO to also announce updates to the Cybertruck.
By Michael Elkins | [email protected]
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- Tesla (TSLA) denies reports of output cuts; replies 'false news'
- Tesla (TSLA) delivers first EV Semi-truck; no update on output or pricing
- Morgan Stanley reiterates Overweight on Tesla (TSLA) as EV market faces pressure
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesCorporate News, Hot List, Management Comments
Related EntitiesTwitter, Tesla, Michael Elkins
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!