Edwards Lifesciences (EW) Announces Receipt of CE Mark for Acumen HPI
- Wall Street closes rollercoaster week sharply lower
- Invesco (IVZ) Reportedly in Talks to Merge With State Street's (STT) Asset Management Business, Citi Sees More Cons than Pros
- FDA Votes "No" on Pfizer (PFE) Booster for 16+ Age Group, 2 Yes 16 No
- Jefferies Raises Price Targets on Alphabet (GOOGL) and Facebook (FB) as They Are Still Inexpensive Relative to Growth, Reiterates Snap (SNAP) as a Best Growth Idea
- Tesla (TSLA) Could Deliver 900K EV Units This Year and 1.3M in 2022 - Wedbush
Get instant alerts when news breaks on your stocks. Claim your 1-week free trial to StreetInsider Premium here.
Edwards Lifesciences Corporation (NYSE: EW) announced it received CE Mark for its Acumen Hypotension Probability Indicator (HPI), a breakthrough technology that alerts clinicians to potential hypotension, or abnormally low blood pressure, in their surgical and critical care patients before it occurs. HPI is only compatible with Edwards' minimally invasive, hemodynamic monitoring solutions.
"Studies have shown that even short durations of hypotension can be harmful to patients," said Monty Mythen, the Smiths Medical Professor of Anaesthesia and Critical Care at University College London. "A first-of-its-kind technology that enables clinicians to detect and address potentially developing hypotensive events is a major advance in patient care."
HPI comprises three elements:
- The hypotension probability parameter, which indicates the possibility of a hypotensive event using machine learning techniques developed from more than 20,000 past patient events;
- An alarm that alerts clinicians when hypotension probability exceeds an upper threshold;
- And a secondary screen that visually links blood pressure to hemodynamic flow parameters, such as cardiac output and contractility.
HPI is part of the Edwards Acumen decision-support software suite and is enabled by the minimally invasive FloTrac IQ sensor, the first commercially available technology within the IQ family of hemodynamic solutions. FloTrac IQ recently received CE Mark.
"European commercial release of the Acumen Hypotension Probability Indicator builds on a strong foundation of innovation and provides clinicians with the insights to help them make decisions earlier," said Catherine M. Szyman, Edwards' corporate vice president, critical care.
HPI is planned for a targeted commercial release in Europe in 2016 and a full launch in 2017. It is not approved for commercial use in the U.S.
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- UPDATE: FDA Approves Exelixis's (EXEL) CABOMETYX for Patients with Previously Treated Radioactive Iodine-Refractory Differentiated Thyroid Cancer
- Zynga (ZNGA) Announces ReVamp, the First Multiplayer Social Deception Game For Snapchat
- Biogen (BIIB) Announces CHMP Recommends VUMERITY for Approval in the European Union as a Treatment for Relapsing-Remitting MS
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesCorporate News
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!