Canadian Pacific Railway's (CP) Merger Agreement for KCS Declared "Company Superior Proposal" by Board
- Futures rise as upbeat earnings boost risk appetite
- Johnson & Johnson (JNJ) Tops Q3 EPS by 24c, Raises FY Guidance
- Walmart (WMT) Added to Goldman's Conviction Buy List, Target (TGT) Removed
- New Product Launches Signal Apple (AAPL) is Navigating Supply Chain Disruptions Better Than Other Companies Says Analyst
- Oil prices rise to three-year high on back of supply deficit forecasts
Get instant alerts when news breaks on your stocks. Claim your 1-week free trial to StreetInsider Premium here.
Canadian Pacific Railway Limited (NYSE: CP) oday announced that it has completed negotiations of a proposed merger agreement with Kansas City Southern ("KCS"), which the KCS Board of Directors has deemed a "Company Superior Proposal."
CP stands ready to execute a definitive merger agreement to create the first U.S.-Mexico-Canada railway to enhance competition in the North American rail network.
"We are pleased to reach this important milestone and again pursue this once-in-a-lifetime partnership," said Keith Creel, CP President and CEO. "As we have said throughout this process, CP remains committed to everything this opportunity presents. This merger proposal provides KCS stockholders greater regulatory and value certainty. We are excited to move forward as we work toward making this perfect match a reality."
The merger proposal values KCS at $300 per share, representing a 34% premium, based on the CP closing price on August 9, 2021 and KCS unaffected closing price on March 19, 2021. Following the closing into a voting trust, common shareholders of KCS will receive 2.884 CP common shares and $90 in cash for each share of KCS common stock held. The proposed transaction includes the assumption of $3.8 billion of outstanding KCS debt.
KCS has notified CN that it intends to terminate KCS's merger agreement with CN and enter into the definitive agreement with CP. Under the terms of the CN-KCS merger agreement, CN has five business days to negotiate amendments to the CN-KCS merger agreement and the KCS board has that time to determine whether any such amendments would cause the CP agreement to no longer constitute a "Company Superior Proposal."
CP-KCS: The only viable Class 1 combinationA CP-KCS combination would create more competition – not less – in the freight rail industry and would be better for Amtrak. It brings more competition among railways and protects obligations to passenger service.
A CP-KCS combination:
- Creates single-line routes to all the markets that a CN-KCS network would reach
- Brings new competition to and from Upper Midwest markets dominated by BNSF or UP that CN-KCS cannot address
- Creates new competition versus CN that CN-KCS combination actually eliminates
- Has a route network that does not funnel all of its traffic through the congested Chicago area
- Unlocks new capacity for Amtrak passenger service, rather than interfering with passenger service between Baton Rouge and New Orleans and south of Chicago
1 Based on KCS closing share price of $224.16 as of March 19, 2021 and CP closing share price of CAD$91.50 (at 1.2565 FX rate) as of August 9, 2021.
CP-KCS would enhance competition, create new and stronger competitive single-line options against existing single-line routes while taking trucks off the highway. CP-KCS would maintain all existing freight rail gateways and maintain competition in the Baton Rouge to New Orleans corridor, while creating new north-south lanes between Western Canada, the Upper Midwest and the Gulf Coast and Mexico.
A CP-KCS transaction would diminish the pressure for downstream consolidation by preserving the basic six-railroad structure of the North American rail network: two in the west, two in the east and two in Canada, each with access to the U.S. Gulf Coast. By contrast, a CN-KCS transaction would fundamentally disrupt this balance.
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- Castle Biosciences Inc. (CSTL) Acquires Cernostics for $30M Cash adn Stock
- SIGNA Sports United Upsizes PIPE to $70M; Principals Agree to Backstop SPAC Merger with Yucaipa Acquisition (YAC)
- Pentair (PNR) Completes Pleatco Acquisition
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesCorporate News, Mergers and Acquisitions
Related EntitiesDividend, Definitive Agreement
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!