Brookdale Senior Living (BKD) to Sell a Majority Stake in its Home Health, Hospice and Outpatient Therapy business to HCA Healthcare (HCA)
- Wall Street closes rollercoaster week sharply lower
- Invesco (IVZ) Reportedly in Talks to Merge With State Street's (STT) Asset Management Business, Citi Sees More Cons than Pros
- FDA Votes "No" on Pfizer (PFE) Booster for 16+ Age Group, 2 Yes 16 No
- Jefferies Raises Price Targets on Alphabet (GOOGL) and Facebook (FB) as They Are Still Inexpensive Relative to Growth, Reiterates Snap (SNAP) as a Best Growth Idea
- Tesla (TSLA) Could Deliver 900K EV Units This Year and 1.3M in 2022 - Wedbush
Get inside Wall Street with StreetInsider Premium. Claim your 1-week free trial here.
Brookdale Senior Living Inc. (NYSE: BKD) ("Brookdale"), the nation's leading operator of senior living communities, today announced it has entered into a definitive agreement to partner with HCA Healthcare through the sale of a majority stake in Brookdale Health Care Services ("BHS"). The partnership provides opportunities to improve healthcare service offerings within Brookdale's communities to enhance its residents' experience and health outcomes. Expanding residents' access to services and specialty care continues to be a cornerstone for helping seniors live their best lives. This venture will also help enhance the growth prospects for BHS given the complementary nature of services of both organizations.
HCA Healthcare is one of the nation's leading providers of healthcare services, comprising more than 2,000 sites of care. As a learning health system, HCA Healthcare uses its more than 32 million annual patient encounters to advance science, improve patient care and save lives. Brookdale will join HCA Healthcare's network of care through this venture. Expanding access to care and creating seamless transitions among types of care can help improve the overall quality and patient experience.
BHS, with 98% of its home health agencies earning a 4 or better Quality Star Rating from Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services in December 2020, is a leader in the delivery of essential home health, hospice and outpatient therapy services to seniors, both those residing in Brookdale's communities and patients in their own homes. BHS operates 57 home health agencies and 22 hospice agencies across 26 states, along with 84 outpatient therapy locations.
Lucinda "Cindy" Baier, Brookdale's President and CEO, said, "The health and wellbeing of our residents is at the core of Brookdale's mission. Today's partnership with HCA Healthcare, a leading healthcare organization, will continue the high quality services delivered to our residents and patients, strengthen our liquidity position and provide meaningful opportunities for growth through better integration of services across the entire care continuum."
"HCA Healthcare's objective is to be the healthcare system of choice in the communities we serve through the development of comprehensive services and by delivering high quality, convenient care to our patients," said Sam Hazen, HCA Healthcare's CEO. "We believe this opportunity to partner with Brookdale will expand the services we offer and enhance our ability to deliver a better experience for our patients as well as for Brookdale residents."
Key Transaction Highlights
- Brookdale has agreed to sell 80% of the equity in BHS to HCA Healthcare for a purchase price of $400 million, which implies a $500 million value for BHS, Brookdale's home health, hospice, and outpatient therapy segment
- Brookdale will retain a 20% equity interest in the venture with HCA Healthcare
- For more transaction financial information, see the investor presentation posted on www.brookdale.com/investor
- The purchase agreement is subject to customary closing conditions
The transaction represents the latest material announcement in Brookdale's ongoing efforts to drive meaningful shareholder value, following Brookdale's July 2020 lease renegotiation with Ventas, Inc. and its January 2020 sale of its Entry Fee CCRC venture interest to Healthpeak Properties, Inc. These initiatives have significantly improved Brookdale's liquidity while positioning Brookdale's core senior housing operations for sustained growth.
Teleconference and WebcastBrookdale's management will conduct a conference call to review this transaction and the financial results for the fourth quarter and full year 2020 on February 25, 2021 at 9:00 AM ET. The conference call can be accessed by dialing (866) 900-2996 (from within the U.S.) or (706) 643-2685 (from outside of the U.S.) ten minutes prior to the scheduled start and referencing "Brookdale".
A webcast of the conference call will be available to the public on a listen-only basis at www.brookdale.com/investor. Please allow extra time prior to the call to visit the site and download the necessary software required to listen to the internet broadcast. A replay of the webcast will be available through the website following the call.
For those who cannot listen to the live call, a replay will be available until 11:59 PM ET on March 12, 2021 by dialing (855) 859-2056 (from within the U.S.) or (404) 537-3406 (from outside of the U.S.) and referencing access code "3060269".
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- Danimer Scientific (DNMR) shares information to clarify misconceptions raised in Muddy Waters' recent short-seller report
- Canadian National Railway (CNI) Outlines Details of Strategic Plan, Will Recommence Share Repurchases
- Lincoln National (LNC) Announces Reinsurance Transaction With Resolution Life and Significant Capital Deployment
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesCorporate News, Management Comments, Mergers and Acquisitions
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!