Biocept (BIOC) Validates AEGEA Biotechnologies' PCR-Based COVID-19 Assay
- Stocks tumble on new coronavirus variant fear
- Moderna (MRNA) Shares Rally 11% on 'Nu' Concerns, Analyst Sees mRNA Technology Adapting Much Quicker to New COVID Variant
- DiDi (DIDI) Stock Falls on Report China Seeks Delisting From US Amid Data Security Concerns
- Apple (AAPL) on Pace to Sell Over 10 Million iPhones for Black Friday - Wedbush
- Buy Tech Winners on Variant Fears - Wedbush
Get instant alerts when news breaks on your stocks. Claim your 1-week free trial to StreetInsider Premium here.
AEGEA Biotechnologies, Inc., an innovative life science company with an extensive portfolio of next-generation nucleic acid technologies, announces that the new PCR-based COVID-19 assay it designed has been validated by Biocept, Inc. (Nasdaq: BIOC), a leading provider of molecular diagnostic assays, products and services. This novel test is highly sensitive and specific, and can quantify a patient's SARS-CoV-2 viral load to determine the active infection level.
The assay was validated in Biocept's CLIA-certified, CAP-accredited high-complexity molecular laboratory to confirm the test's ability to determine viral load. Additionally, an abstract (#ID39) published in the November 2021 issue of the Journal of Molecular Diagnostics demonstrated that AEGEA's assay detected COVID-19 100% of the time. It also showed the assay to have single copy RNA target sensitivity with greater than 95% confidence at 8 copies per assay. AEGEA's assay perfectly identified SARS-CoV-2 RNA from 40 blinded nasal and saliva samples and 256 oral pharyngeal samples. The assay also contains a sample adequacy control to reduce the risk of obtaining false negative results.
The ability to quantify viral load is an important feature of AEGEA's COVID-19 assay that differentiates it from the vast majority of other COVID-19 assays that simply detect the presence or absence of the virus, Quantifying the viral load can be instrumental in assessing how contagious patients are, determining how they are responding to therapy, and informing when they can resume normal daily activities.
"Clinical validation and the abstract publication confirm the important advantages of AEGEA's new COVID-19 assay and its ability to aid caregivers in clinical decision-making," said Stella M. Sung, Ph.D., CEO of AEGEA Biotechnologies. "Unlike other available COVID-19 tests, this assay is both quantitative and highly sensitive, and it is designed to identify specific COVID-19 variants and be adaptable to new variants as they arise. This is potentially a powerful new tool for physicians and patients during this challenging pandemic."
AEGEA is already in discussions with FDA regarding the recommended regulatory path consistent with the Agency's most recent guidelines.
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- Ocugen (OCGN) announces FDA has issued clinical hold on IND to evaluate the COVID-19 vaccine candidate, COVAXIN
- Ocugen, Inc. Provides an Update on its Investigational New Drug Application with U.S. FDA to Initiate a Phase 3 Clinical Trial Evaluating COVID-19 Vaccine Candidate COVAXIN™ (BBV152)
- Astra Space (ASTR) Redeems all Outstanding Warrants
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesCorporate News, FDA
Related EntitiesS1, FDA
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!