Academy Sports and Outdoor (ASO) Tops Q4 EPS by 57c, Revenues Beat; Offers FY21 EPS Guidance Below Consensus
- S&P 500 dips off record high, Dow rises on bank earnings
- Coinbase (COIN) Soars 52% in Public Debut
- JPMorgan (JPM) Reports a Q1 Beat on Revenue and Profit Fueled by Release of $5.2 Billion Reserved for Bad Loans; Shares Slightly Down
- Dell Technologies (DELL) Announces Planned VMware (VMW) Spin-Off
- Disgraced Ponzi scheme architect Bernie Madoff dies in prison at 82
Get instant alerts when news breaks on your stocks. Claim your 1-week free trial to StreetInsider Premium here.
Academy Sports and Outdoor (NASDAQ: ASO) reported Q4 EPS of $1.09, $0.57 better than the analyst estimate of $0.52. Revenue for the quarter came in at $1.6 billion versus the consensus estimate of $1.58 billion.
- Net sales increased 16.6% to a record $1.60 billion. Comparable sales increased 16.1%, driven by strong consumer demand across all markets and merchandise divisions, particularly Sports & Recreation.
- E-commerce sales grew 60.7%, led by an increase in website visits and the continued consumer adoption of new fulfillment methods, such as buy online, pick-up in-store, ship-to-store and curbside pick-up.
- Gross profit increased 34.7% to $499.1 million. The gross margin rate increased 420 basis points to 31.2%. This increase was driven by higher merchandise margins, fewer promotions and a reduction in clearance sales.
- Net income was $91.5 million, a 416.0% increase over $17.7 million in the prior year quarter, resulting in diluted earnings per share of $0.97, compared to $0.24 per share in the prior year quarter.
- Pro forma adjusted net income, which excludes the impact of certain non-cash and extraordinary items, was $103.1 million, a 485.8% increase over pro forma adjusted net income of $17.6 million in the prior year quarter.
- Pro forma diluted earnings per share were $1.09, compared to $0.23 per share in the prior year quarter.
“I am very proud of everything the Academy Sports + Outdoors team members achieved in 2020 as they faced substantial adversity and uncertainty due to the pandemic. Through collaboration, dedication and innovation, the team produced remarkable results and delivered fun to millions of customers while laying the foundation for future success,” said Ken Hicks, Chairman, President and Chief Executive Officer. “With our outstanding team, strong balance sheet and by investing in our key initiatives, such as power merchandising and e-commerce capabilities, Academy is very well positioned to continue to drive top and bottom line growth for the long term as well as enhance shareholder value.”
Academy Sports and Outdoor sees FY2021 EPS of $2.95, versus the consensus of $3.12.
For earnings history and earnings-related data on Academy Sports and Outdoor (ASO) click here.
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- LCI Industries (LCII) Announces Prelim. 1Q21 Sales Above Consensus
- Goldman Sachs (GS) Q1 EPS Nearly Doubles Wall Street's View as Investment Banking Excels Amid SPAC and IPO Frenzy
- Ethan Allen (ETH) Prelim. Q3 EPS Tops Consensus
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesCorporate News, Earnings, Guidance, Hot Guidance, Management Comments
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!