Newmont (NEM), Other Gold Mining Stocks Shine Amid Rush to Safe Havens
- Wall Street ends volatile week higher as Fed officials ease bank fears
- Deutsche Bank shares plunge after spike in credit default swaps
- 6-week inflows to bonds? Biggest ever; 7-day inflows to cash? $142.9 billion; Policy panic now 'inevitable' - BofA's Hartnett
- World stocks gyrate as bank contagion fears bite
- Activision (ATVI) gains 5% as UK's CMA narrows concerns scope in Microsoft (MSFT) deal
News and research before you hear about it on CNBC and others. Claim your 1-week free trial to StreetInsider Premium here.
Shares of Newmont (NYSE: NEM) outperformed Friday, rising 5% as gold prices surged. The precious metal gained in popularity recently due to problems in the banking sector.
Gold climbed over 2% to a high of $1,969.60, up 5% this week, notching its largest weekly gain since November.
The surge lifted gold miners, with Market Vectors Gold Miners ETF (NYSE: GDX) climbing 4% and Market Vector Junior Gold Miners Etf (NYSE: GDXJ) climbing 4.25% today.
Popular gold mining stocks include Agnico Eagle Mines (NYSE: AEM), Barrick Gold (NYSE: GOLD), Kinross Gold (NYSE: KGC), AngloGold Ashanti (NYSE: AU), Royal Gold (NASDAQ: RGLD), Franco-Nevada (NYSE: FNV) and Gold Fields (NYSE: GFI) all moved higher.
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- Bitcoin Quickly Spikes to High, Up 5% at $28,750
- Gold returns to $2,000 as dollar descends into post-Fed abyss
- Gold tumbles again from $2,000 high as Fed said to stay tough on inflation
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesCommodities, ETFs, Market Check, Trader Talk
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!