Specific Diagnostics Awarded Grant by the Department of Defense (DoD) to use Reveal for the Rapid Determination of the Antimicrobial Effectiveness of Bacteriophage
- S&P 500, Dow end at record highs as weak jobs data eases rate worries
- U.S. Added Only 266,000 Jobs in April, Well Below Estimates
- Roku (ROKU) Surges After Crushing Profit Estimates to Prompt an Upgrade to 'Buy' at Loop Capital
- Dollar broadly weaker after U.S. jobs data disappoint
- Square (SQ) Tops Q1 EPS by 25c
News and research before you hear about it on CNBC and others. Claim your 1-week free trial to StreetInsider Premium here.
MOUNTAIN VIEW, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)-- Specific Diagnostics announced today that the Department of Defense has awarded the Company a grant to utilize the Reveal Rapid AST System for rapid assessment of the efficacy of bacteriophage in expressing pathogens.
Reveal determines bacterial susceptibility to antimicrobial drugs in an average of 5 hours, allowing same-shift adjustment of treatment, saving lives while reducing costs and improving the utilization of antibiotics. In responding to the DoD call, Specific conducted preliminary demonstrations establishing that Reveal can also be used to test bacterial susceptibility to phage therapy, a new means to treat the most highly drug resistant infections, potentially even those that respond to no available antibiotic.
According to the DHHS, resistant pathogens cause 2.8 million infections and at least 35,000 deaths every year in the USA. With bacteria evolving resistance to antibiotics, driven in part by overuse, bacteriophage therapy represents a distinct and promising alternative to antibiotic therapy.
“In the age of antibiotic resistance, alternatives to antibiotics are increasingly needed,” said Dr. Paul A. Rhodes, Specific’s CEO. “While the Reveal instrument had proven its capability for rapid assessment of antibiotic drug efficacy, we were excited to consider its efficacy as a bacteriophage platform.
Specific Diagnostics has developed in vitro diagnostic systems based upon a unique, patented metabolomic signature technology that enables rapid detection and identification of microorganisms as they grow in culture. Its first commercial application applies this fundamental new capability to the rapid determination of antimicrobial susceptibility directly from positive blood cultures, as well as isolate dilutions. Specific is based in Mountain View, CA. For press inquiries, please contact: Jeff Holman, firstname.lastname@example.org
Jeff Holman, email@example.com
Source: Specific Diagnostics
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- Western Union Expands in South Korea with Korea Investment & Securities
- Select Interior Concepts to Sell Its RDS Segment to Interior Logic Group for $215 Million
- Pendal Group, Parent Company Of J O Hambro Capital Management, Doubles U.S. Assets With Acquisition Of Virginia-Based Value Manager Thompson, Siegel & Walmsley LLC; John Reifsnider Named CEO Of Pe
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesBusiness Wire, Press Releases
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!