Remote Work Drives U.S. Surge in Security Challenges, Cloud Usage: ManageEngine Report
- Wall Street flat, IBM results weigh on technology stocks
- Tesla (TSLA) Beats EPS and Revenue Views on Improving Gross Margins, Analysts Praise Very Solid Quarter But Warn of 'Aggressive Valuation' as Stock 'Priced to Perfection'
- Trump Media To Go Public Via $1.7 Billion SPAC Deal, Aims to Fight the Big Tech
- IBM (IBM) Stock Plunges 5% on Sales Miss, Q3 Results Seen as a Setback
- Oil hits multi-year high above $86, then pulls back
Get instant alerts when news breaks on your stocks. Claim your 1-week free trial to StreetInsider Premium here.
Top 3 Attack Vectors Are Phishing, Endpoint Network Attacks and Malware;
74% of US Companies Increased Their Use of Cloud Solutions Due to the COVID-19 Pandemic
DEL VALLE, Texas--(BUSINESS WIRE)-- ManageEngine, the enterprise IT management division of Zoho Corporation, today announced the final report from its recent study, The 2021 Digital Readiness Survey. The report found that 81% of U.S.-based IT professionals believe that having remote workers has increased their enterprise’s security challenges, while 74% acknowledge that their company’s use of cloud solutions increased as a direct result of the COVID-19 pandemic. The report also found that 96% of U.S. organizations plan to stick with remote work for at least the next two years.
Rising to Security Challenges
The report found that phishing is the most common threat (62%) identified by U.S. respondents, with endpoint network attacks (employee devices and edge devices) (49%) and malware (39%) as the second and third most prominent threats. Account hijacking and social-media-based attacks closely followed at 38% and 32%, respectively.
Not only is this increase in cyberthreats jeopardizing organizational security, but it is also placing more pressure on IT teams. As a result of employees working remotely, the majority of organizations in the U.S. (97%) took necessary security actions to safeguard their data, namely:
- Raising employees’ awareness: 77%
- Training employees on cybersecurity: 68%
- Adapting company security strategies: 58%
- Monitoring employee devices: 47%
- Implementing a Zero Trust network: 20%
The U.S. excelled in limiting shadow IT, ranking the highest in the world (33%) in terms of IT teams needing to provide approval on all app purchases—10% higher than the global average. Nearly two-fifths of respondents (37%) said employees have purchased mobile-specific applications without direct approval from IT, followed by online meeting tools (29%) and document sharing applications (26%).
“These findings indicate that the mass shift to a distributed workforce has forced IT to fundamentally reevaluate their security practices,” said Ajay Kumar, chief evangelist at ManageEngine. “The results should serve as a wake-up call for organizations to proactively ramp up their security measures through employee training and reinforcing their identity and access management, SIEM and unified endpoint management practices."
Ramping Up Cloud Solutions
With remote work here to stay, U.S. executives are relearning how to best support their workforce. To that end, 53% of U.S. respondents learned new remote worker support skills and 52% said that their organizations’ remote worker support teams have increased their use of cloud solutions in the last year.
"Cloud adoption shows no signs of slowing, especially after the shift to digital operations that many businesses had to make to survive in 2020,” added Kumar. “While there are improvements to be made, this survey solidifies that cloud solutions aren't going anywhere."
Additional cloud-related data points include:
Increased Security is Still Best for Instilling Cloud Confidence
- 56% of respondents said that increased security would in turn increase their company’s confidence in cloud solutions.
- Increased performance (48%) and improved reliability (47%) closely follow security.
ITOps Teams Embrace the Cloud, Compliance Teams Resist
- Other than remote worker support teams, IT operations had the highest increased use of cloud solutions (60%) as well as data teams (50%).
- Conversely, disaster recovery and compliance teams had the lowest rate of adoption at 29% and 22%, respectively, suggesting that cloud solutions should improve their security function before seeing wide-spread adoption.
ManageEngine commissioned Dimensional Research to conduct a survey of 1,210 executives and technology professionals at small to large enterprises in 2021 to examine the effects of remote work as a result of the pandemic. Participants were directly responsible for IT and business technology. This research investigated geographical trends from the following key regions: Australia and New Zealand, India, North America, Singapore and the United Kingdom. In North America, 402 respondents from businesses with more than 500 employees across 20 industry verticals completed the survey.
ManageEngine is the enterprise IT management division of Zoho Corporation. Established and emerging enterprises—including 9 of every 10 Fortune 100 organizations—rely on ManageEngine's real-time IT management tools to ensure optimal performance of their IT infrastructure, including networks, servers, applications, desktops and more. ManageEngine has offices worldwide, including the United States, the Netherlands, India, UAE, Mexico, Singapore, Japan, China and Australia, as well as 200+ global partners to help organizations tightly align their business and IT. For more information, please visit manageengine.com; follow the company blog at blogs.manageengine.com and on LinkedIn at www.linkedin.com/company/manageengine, Facebook at www.facebook.com/manageengine and Twitter @ManageEngine.
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- Motorcar Parts of America Receives Vendor of the Year Award for Professional Excellence From Advance Auto Parts
- Tiptree Inc. to Present at the 2021 CFANY Insurance Conference on Wednesday, November 10
- Oversight Board demands more transparency from Facebook (FB)
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesBusiness Wire, Press Releases
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!