Meister Seelig & Fein LLP Criminal Defense Team Defeats Government Motion
- S&P 500, Dow end at record highs as weak jobs data eases rate worries
- U.S. Added Only 266,000 Jobs in April, Well Below Estimates
- Roku (ROKU) Surges After Crushing Profit Estimates to Prompt an Upgrade to 'Buy' at Loop Capital
- Dollar broadly weaker after U.S. jobs data disappoint
- Square (SQ) Tops Q1 EPS by 25c
Get instant alerts when news breaks on your stocks. Claim your 1-week free trial to StreetInsider Premium here.
NEW YORK--(BUSINESS WIRE)-- According to MeisterSeelig & Fein LLP, in a lengthy written opinion issued on April 20, 2021, United States District Judge John G. Koeltl ruled that federal prosecutors utterly failed to make their case that MSF’s client, an interventional cardiologist and the head of a Queens private medical practice, “directly or indirectly obtained the proceeds” of charged federal healthcare fraud.
The government sought more than $6.8 million in proceeds from the doctor, but the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York rejected the entirety of the prosecutors’ claims. The Court emphatically found that “[t]here is no evidence that [the defendant] could have siphoned off the $6,871,176 for his personal use,” and concluded that “the Court will decline to impose an order of forfeiture.” In ruling against the government and ordering that no money be forfeited against the medical doctor, the federal district Judge found that the facts presented in an in-person evidentiary hearing held during the COVID-19 pandemic, were favorable to the defendant. The court agreed with the MSF defense team that “the government failed to show that [the defendant] used [his medical practice] as his personal piggy bank.” The MSF defense team won both the factual and legal arguments and saved their client nearly $7 million in personal assets.
The Court’s published opinion can be found at United States v. Hameedi, 17 Cr. 137 (JGK), U.S. District Court, S.D.N.Y., April 20, 2021 (ECF Doc. 455).
Chief Marketing Officer
Meister Seelig & Fein LLP
Source: Meister Seelig & Fein LLP
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- Datopotamab Deruxtecan Late-Breaking Data at ESMO Breast Shows Promising Preliminary Response and Disease Control in Patients with Metastatic Triple Negative Breast Cancer
- Flower One Announces Modification to Loan Agreement and Issues Warrants to its Lender per the Loan Modification and Amendment Agreement
- Dallas TX Business Growth Lawyer – Startup Financial Advice Services Launched
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesBusiness Wire, Press Releases
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!