Bill Gates Left Microsoft (MSFT) Board Amid Probe Into 'Intimate Relationship': WSJ
- Dow, S&P post worst week in months after hawkish Fed spooks investors
- Fed-fueled dollar rises as bears make for exits
- Adobe (ADBE) Edges Higher After Topping Q2 Estimates, Analysts Raise PT on 'Impressive' Performance
- Fed Statement Very Bullish for Tech Stocks, Focus on Cloud and Cyber Stocks - Wedbush
- You Fight Real Physical Inflation With Rate Hikes, Not Talk of Rate Hikes; Buy the Dip in Commodities, Gold Underpriced - Goldman Sachs
Get inside Wall Street with StreetInsider Premium. Claim your 1-week free trial here.
The former CEO and founder of Microsoft (NASDAQ: MSFT), Bill Gates, reportedly quit the company’s board of directors last year following an investigation into his prior intimate relationship with a female Microsoft employee that was considered to be inappropriate, the Wall Street Journal reports.
The staff member alleged in a letter that she had a sexual relationship with Bill Gates, which prompted the board to look further into the matter. An outside law firm was hired to inspect these claims.
“Microsoft received a concern in the latter half of 2019 that Bill Gates sought to initiate an intimate relationship with a company employee in the year 2000,” a Microsoft spokesman said.
“A committee of the Board reviewed the concern, aided by an outside law firm to conduct a thorough investigation. Throughout the investigation, Microsoft provided extensive support to the employee who raised the concern.”
For some board members, it made no sense that Mr. Gates continues to act as a director at the tech business giant. He then resigned before the investigation was completed in order to “focus on his philanthropy.”
A spokeswoman for Mr. Gates said, “There was an affair almost 20 years ago which ended amicably.” She said his “decision to transition off the board was in no way related to this matter. In fact, he had expressed an interest in spending more time on his philanthropy starting several years earlier.”
This news comes just a few days after Mr. Gates and his wife Melinda French Gates, announced they were divorcing after 27 years.
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- Microsoft (MSFT) elected Satya Nadella to role of board chair, and unanimously elected John W. Thompson as lead independent director
- Geopark Limited (GPRK) Co-Founder and Former Chairman Gerald O’Shaughnessy Issues Open Letter to Company’s Board of Directors
- Fed's Bullard looks to a bond-buying taper not on 'automatic pilot'
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesBoard Changes, General News
Related EntitiesBill Gates
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!