Walmart (WMT) Gains on Raised Guidance, Analyst Sees More Upside Than Downside
- Wall Street ends sharply higher as Treasury yields dip
- Apple Falls 4% on Report It Will Not Ramp Up iPhone 14 Production, Analyst Not Surprised
- Biogen (BIIB) Surges After 'Best-Case' Alzheimer's Drug Trial Results; Stock Earns Several Upgrades
- Europe Stock Outflows 'Worse Than During COVID Panic' - Citi
- Oil up 4% as Bulls Storm Back In on Hurricane, Crude Draw and Dollar Drop
Get instant alerts when news breaks on your stocks. Claim your 1-week free trial to StreetInsider Premium here.
Shares of Walmart (NYSE: WMT) are up over 4% in premarket Tuesday after the retail giant reported results that beat the average analyst estimate.
Walmart reported an adjusted EPS of $1.77 per share to top the consensus of $1.63. Revenue came in at $152.86 billion to also beat the estimate of $151.14 billion. Total U.S. comparable sales, excluding gas, were +7% while the Bloomberg consensus called for +6.48%.
While Walmart reaffirmed the outlook for back-half of FY23, the company said it now sees year adjusted EPS decline of 9%-11%, better than the prior guidance calling for an 11%-13% decline.
Stifel analyst Mark Astrachan reflected positively on the results.
“We anticipate near-term U.S. consumer trends remain volatile, with July spending improving from June lows driven by gasoline deflation that began in mid-June and which has a disproportionate impact on Walmart’s lower-income consumer. We see more upside than downside for WMT shares,” he wrote in a client note.
Goldman Sachs analyst Kate McShane is positive on WMT after “the Q2 beat and raised FY22 guidance.” Similarly, BMO analyst Kelly Bania noted a “strong finish” to Q2 that helped the company to raise FY22 guidance.
“F2Q23 came in ahead of expectations despite a July guide down as the quarter finished stronger than expected. FY23 guidance was raised to reflect 2Q beat, while back half guidance was maintained. We rate WMT shares Outperform with a $160 target price,” Bania wrote in a client note.
By Senad Karaahmetovic
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- Paychex (PAYX) Shares Rise Following Earnings, No Surprises States Analyst
- Walmart Jumps Into Roblox With Launch of Walmart Land and Walmart’s Universe of Play
- Walmart Names Kindbody as Provider for Associate Fertility and Family-Building Benefits Nationwide
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesAnalyst Comments, Earnings, Guidance, Hot Guidance, Hot List
Related EntitiesStifel, Goldman Sachs, Senad Karaahmetovic
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!