Upstart Holdings (UPST) Sinks as Wedbush Cuts Target After Analyzing Pending Securitization
- S&P 500 staggers to slightly lower close as quarter-end looms
- S&P 500 Set to Post Worst 1st-Half Return Since 1970
- Senate Democrats Working on Shrinking Biden Tax Increases - Bloomberg
- Tesla (TSLA) Increases Production at Giga-Texas - Report
- Wall Street Veteran Ball Believes S&P 500 Will Fall to 3,100
News and research before you hear about it on CNBC and others. Claim your 1-week free trial to StreetInsider Premium here.
Shares of Upstart Holdings (NASDAQ: UPST) are down 10% in early trading following cautious comments from Wedbush analyst David Chiaverini, who cut the price target to $15 from $20, after the analyst's takeaways from a new $649 million pending securitization of Upstart loans.
Chiaverini highlighted that Upstart began using a new underwriting model on March 11, 2022 "to account for higher delinquencies and defaults."
Further, KBRA's base case loss expectation of 18.7% in this deal is materially higher than its base case loss expectation of 15.5% in deal that closed on 4/4.
Also, the gross excess spread to residual interest holders contracted 100 bp to 12.8% in this deal from 13.8% in the prior deal owing to a higher coupon rate being paid to senior noteholders.
Lastly, the Kroll didn't provide issuer ratings on the class B and class C notes for this deal, which is a divergence from its regular practice of rating each class of notes. "... we could infer that there may not have been enough credit enhancement to support an investment grade rating on the class B notes," the analyst commented.
Bottom line, Chiaverini notes "most deal metrics indicate the ABS market is getting more difficult... "Our Underperform rating on UPST is based on weakening delinquency/loss trends on recent 2021 vintage securitizations that appear to be deteriorating worse than Kroll's base case scenarios and at a faster pace than its 2018, 2019, and 2020 vintages."
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- UPDATE: Morgan Stanley Downgrades Upstart Holdings Inc (UPST) to Underweight
- Morgan Stanley Starts 'Unique E-commerce Platform' Coupang (CPNG) at Overweight
- Carnival Plunges as Morgan Stanley Says Another Demand Shock Could Send Shares to $0
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesAnalyst Comments, Hot Comments, Trader Talk
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!