UPDATE: Starbucks (SBUX) PT Raised to $110 as Morgan Stanley Sees 4 Key Points
- Dow hits milestone, S&P breaks record high on tech rally
- Thermo Fisher Scientific (TMO) to Acquire PPD, Inc. (PPD) for $47.50/sh, $17.4 Billion
- U.S. retail sales post largest gain in 10 months; weekly jobless claims fall
- Dell (DELL) Gains on Spin-Off of its 81% Stake in VMware (VMW), Analysts Bulled-Up as It Could Unlock $20 Per Share of Value for DELL
- The Stock Market is Almost 'Completely Broken' - Einhorn
Morgan Stanley analyst John Glass raised the price target on Starbucks (NASDAQ: SBUX) to $110.00 (from $106.00) after the company reported a solid margin/EPS beat despite some late quarter sales softness. This dynamic underscores the profit recapture potential as we inch toward a 2H reopening that will drive the top line.
The analyst reiterated an Equalweight rating, highlighting 4 key thoughts from results:
1) Sales remain volatile due to Covid-19, but the trajectory is positive. The US saw SSS trends decelerate to -8% in December vs -4% in November, impacted by rising Covid cases and the closure of seating areas in some stores, but have snapped back to -2% in January
2) 1Q showed phenomenal digital growth, with the US adding 2.5M active digital/rewards members, reaching an all time high of 21.8M
3) 1Q margins exceeded expectations (15.5% at the enterprise level beating internal expectations) despite the late quarter slowdown in the US, check averages have remained high at +20% Y/Y growth
4) FY21 guidance remains in place though SBUX will update it with next quarter's reporting. For 2Q, adjusted EPS guidance of 45-50c compares to prior consensus of 60c
The analyst stated "the longer term top line recovery narrative, margin expansion opportunity and heightened digital engagement all point to why '21 could end up being a better earnings growth year than initially assumed, even if the full year EPS guide was left (prudently) unchanged for now. To be sure, the stock has been pricing in this increased optimism for a while, but nothing we heard from the 1Q would suggest to us that the market's optimism is unfounded".
You May Also Be Interested In
- UPDATE: UBS Upgrades Oshkosh (OSK) to Buy
- Svenska Cellulosa Aktiebolaget SCA (SCAB:SS) (SVCBF) PT Raised to SEK116 at UBS
- Thyssenkrupp AG (TKA:GR) (TYEKF) PT Raised to EUR17 at Deutsche Bank
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesAnalyst Comments, Analyst EPS Change, Analyst EPS View, Analyst PT Change
Related EntitiesMorgan Stanley, Earnings
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!