UPDATE: Raymond James Downgrades Bed Bath & Beyond (BBBY) to Underperform
- Wall St set for higher open on rate cut optimism
- U.S. private employers add 103,000 jobs in November - ADP
- Data storage group MongoDB delivers upbeat guidance after Q3 results top estimates
- Stocks, gold gain as investors stay cheery on rate outlook
- A major Wall Street bank is out with S&P 500 forecast for 2024
Raymond James analyst Bobby Griffin downgraded Bed Bath & Beyond (NASDAQ: BBBY) from Market Perform to Underperform.
The analyst comments "We are downgrading BBBY to an Underperform rating, from a Market Perform, following Bed Bath and Beyond’s strategic update. While haven’t recommended purchases of BBBY in a long time (downgraded to a Market Perform in Jan of 2021), we find it challenging to even maintain our neutral rating given the current trends of the business and ongoing cash burn. Yes, the new financing will improve the company’s liquidity position (~$1B of available liquidity post new debt offering vs. prior liquidity of $500M), but likely only “kicks the can down the road” as underlying business trends remain abysmal, with comparable sales down ~26% y/y (no signs of improvement) and a sizable quarterly cash burn ($325M in FCF burn in F2Q). Even with a move back towards more branded products, we struggle to see a pathway for improved performance, especially with discretionary consumer spending and housing slowing. Furthermore, the ongoing cash burn (even if improved some in F3Q/F4Q) and need to preserve cash/liquidity will limit in-store investments (remodels), likely only further hindering customer traffic. Recall, one of our biggest concerns with Bed Bath & Beyond was the company’s in-store shopping experience versus home furnishing peers. Accordingly, we feel an Underperform rating is better suited versus our prior Market Perform. We would look to change our view if we see signs of consistent cash flow generation again and a stabilization in sales trends."
Shares of Bed Bath & Beyond closed at $9.53 yesterday.
You May Also Be Interested In
- JPMorgan Downgrades Range Resources (RRC) to Underweight, 'we see less relative upside'
- Morgan Stanley sees 30% downside in Plug Power (PLUG)
- Raymond James Upgrades Shake Shack (SHAK) to Strong Buy, 'Margin + ROI Improvement in Early Innings'
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesAnalyst Comments, Downgrades, Hot Comments, Hot Downgrades
Related EntitiesRaymond James
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!