Tesla (TSLA) Hurt More By Media Hype and Mix Than Top Line Deliveries - Citi
- Wall Street ends volatile week sharply higher
- AT&T (T) in Talks to Merge Media Assets with Discovery (DISCA) - WSJ
- Disney (DIS) Dips As Streaming Business Shows Signs of Slowing Down, Analysts 'Very Bullish' on LT Opportunity
- Airbnb (ABNB) Bookings Up 52% to Help Sales Beat, Seen as a 'Blow Out Quarter' as More Upside is Left
- DoorDash (DASH) Reports Bigger Loss and a Sales Beat, Shares Soars on Strong Guidance and Two Upgrades to 'Buy'
Get inside Wall Street with StreetInsider Premium. Claim your 1-week free trial here.
Citi analyst Itay Michaeli reiterated a Sell rating and $191.00 price target on Tesla (NASDAQ: TSLA) after the company reported Q3 deliveries of ~97k, in-line with the analyst's 96k estimate but short of recently inflated expectations stemming from a media reported internal e-mail (first reported by Electrek) suggesting the company had a shot at delivering ~100k vehicles.
The analyst stated "On a QoQ basis, deliveries were up ~2% vs. the company’s original Q3 guidance for QoQ growth. The underlying mix within the delivery numbers looks soft at first glance. Model S/X deliveries were 17.4k vs. our 18.0k estimate, declining 37% YoY and 1% QoQ. Model 3 deliveries were 79.6k vs. our 78.0k. Leasing mix rose QoQ for both the S/X and the Model 3 (non-lease accounting deliveries fell ~1% QoQ). Q3 production was stronger vs. Q2 at 96.2k vs. 87.0k. As for the outlook, the release noted record Q3 net orders resulting in an increased order backlog entering Q4. However, the release didn’t specifically confirm Tesla’s 2019 delivery guidance of 360-400k, for which the low-end now requires ~105k delivery units in Q4. With the shares having held-up well into the Q3 delivery report, we’d expect a pullback on these results".
Shares of Tesla closed at $232.00 yesterday.
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- Morgan Stanley Says Buy Tesla (TSLA) on Weakness, Reiterates Overweight
- Balkrishna Industries Ltd. (BIL:IN) PT Raised to INR1,775 at Investec
- Fisker (FSR) Gains on Plans to Manufacture EVs With Foxconn in US, Morgan Stanley Reiterates FSR as a Top-Rated EV Startup Thesis as Bull Case Offers 800% Upside
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesAnalyst Comments
Related EntitiesCiti, Tesla, Model 3
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!