Snap (SNAP) Beats Q1 Estimates Amid 'Robust Ad Environment,' Analysts Raise Numbers and PTs
- Dow ends at record high after upbeat jobless claims report
- PayPal (PYPL) Gains After Topping Q1 and Guidance Expectations, Crypto Seen as a Key Growth Driver Going Forward
- Square (SQ) Tops Q1 EPS by 25c
- Fed's Kaplan wants taper talk 'sooner rather than later'
- U.S. weekly jobless claims drop below 500,000; layoffs lowest since 2000
Get inside Wall Street with StreetInsider Premium. Claim your 1-week free trial here.
Shares of Snap Inc (NYSE: SNAP) are up over 4% in pre-open trading Friday after the company easily topped market expectations for Q1.
The social media company said it had a loss of $287 million for the quarter, better than a loss of $306 million a year ago. On an adjusted basis, Snap reported a break-even quarter for profit, which is again better than an expected loss of $0.06 per share.
“We began 2021 by achieving our highest year-over-year revenue and daily active user growth rates in over three years during the quarter, and delivering positive Free Cash Flow for the first time in Snap’s history as a public company,” said Evan Spiegel, CEO of the social media business.
“The strength of our business underscores our relentless focus on product innovation and is a testament to our team’s ability to execute well together over the long term.”
Revenue also topped market estimates as it was reported at $770 million while the surveyed market analysts were calling for $743.8 million. For the first time ever, Snap reported positive free cash flow ($126 million).
Global daily active users (DAUs) surged 22% to 280 million to beat the consensus of 274.62 million. The average revenue per user (ARPU) came in at $2.74 to top the $2.72 the analysts expected.
The company is projecting to add a further 10 million daily active users globally in Q2. Moreover, Snap expects to see its adjusted profit to arrive between negative $20 million and break even.
Discussing the Q1 earnings report, Morgan Stanley analyst Brian Nowak outlines 5 key takeaways.
- Re-Opening Tailwinds Startingto Swirl: MS expects this to be a tailwind to SNAP engagement and monetization through re-opening;
- Advertiser Traction Remains Strong: SNAP's advertiser base roughly doubled Y/Y in 1Q;
- Augmented Reality Offerings/Adoption Growing...With Monetization Buds/Ideas Starting To Show: While the market talks quite a bit about shopping on Facebook and Pinterest, MS sees Snapchat's AR offerings as another potential driver of social commerce;
- Spotlight Engagement Also Strong, Highlighting Platform Runway: Nowak sees a path for Spotlight to generate ~$1bn of annual incremental US revenue by '24; and
- Solid Opex Discipline, But Expect Investment to Continue; MS sees all of these trades as long-term accretive if they drive engagement and monetization.
Novak maintained “Overweight” on SNAP and raised PT to $75.00 (from $74.00), while the new price objective under the bull-case scenario is $99.00.
BofA analyst Justin Post also raised the price target to $70.00 per share from earlier $67.00 after a “solid quarter” on the back of the “robust ad environment.” A new PT on a Neutral-rated SNAP is $70.00 per share from $67.00.
“We continue to see multi-product progress and opportunity to increase revenue per user, but prefer bigger cyclical beneficiaries with lower valuations and easier comps ahead in ’21. We raise our PO to $70 from $67 based on an unchanged, and very healthy, 20x P/S multiple on higher 2022 revenue estimate. Stock risks remain IDFA sentiment, TikTok driven ad price deflation, valuation, and expectations for 2022 revenue upside,” Post said in a note.
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- Zynga (ZNGA) Surges After Beating Q1 Sales and Acquiring Chartboost, Triggering BofA Upgrade to 'Buy'
- Perdoceo Education Corp. (PRDO) Tops Q1 EPS by 1c, Revenues Beat; Offers 2Q & FY21 EPS Outlook
- HubSpot (HUBS) Gains As Earnings and Guidance Beats, Analysts Raise PTs as Strong Momentum Continues
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesAnalyst Comments, Analyst EPS View, Earnings
Related EntitiesMorgan Stanley, Earnings, Pre Market Movers
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!