RBC Capital Upgrades IBM (IBM) to Outperform, 'Return of the Machine'
- Shares close mixed, Nvidia's 3% rise offsets debt ceiling jitters
- Nvidia surges past $1 trillion valuation amid boom in AI interest
- Analysts rush to raise Broadcom (AVGO) numbers on strong chip orders; Shares gain
- Cathie Wood says Nvidia too expensive, Tesla to benefit from AI boom
- Jet used by Tesla CEO Elon Musk lands in China - Reuters
Get Alerts IBM Hot Sheet
12 Buy, 24 Hold, 3 Sell
Rating Trend: Down
Today's Overall Ratings:
Up: 14 | Down: 3 | New: 43
Join SI Premium – FREE
Get instant alerts when news breaks on your stocks. Claim your 1-week free trial to StreetInsider Premium here.
RBC Capital upgraded IBM (NYSE: IBM) from Sector Perform to Outperform with a price target of $180.00 (from $160.00).
ANalyst Amit Daryanani expects the company to experience mainframe cycle benefits, FX tailwinds, hybrid IT recovery and suspects investors will begin to appreciate the attractive valuation. The analyst comments "We see a host of cyclical and secular levers that should enable share performance through 2018 - a return to gross margin stability coupled with revenue growth in 2018 should set-up the stock for a year of outperformance especially considering the depressed valuation. Key levers behind our upgrade: 1) Mainframe cycle – We expect the mainframe cycle to drive not just hardware but could contribute to software/services revenues given OS/Services attach, 2) We see F/X becoming a tailwind for IBM in CY18, a dynamic we haven’t witnessed for 3+ years, 3) Hybrid IT recovery – We expect the trend towards hybrid IT spend improving through 2018 which should enable IBM revenues to revert to modest (1-3%) growth, and 4) valuation – we think should revenues and gross margins stabilize to improve in 2018, current valuation at ~11x P/E will prove to be very attractive especially given the 3%+ dividend yield. Net/Net: We think IBM is an attractive large-cap value stock for investors in 2018 as the potential for revenue and margin stability should enable a re-rating."
For an analyst ratings summary and ratings history on IBM click here. For more ratings news on IBM click here.
Shares of IBM closed at $154.25 yesterday.
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- Hertz Global (HTZ) PT Lowered to $28 at Tigress Financial Partners, 'continues to benefit from strong rental car demand'
- Shares soar as ChargePoint (CHPT) earns upgrade from Bank of America
- Zee Entertainment Enterprises Ltd. (Z:IN) PT Lowered to INR240 at Citi
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesAnalyst Comments, Analyst PT Change, Hot Upgrades, Upgrades
Related EntitiesRBC Capital
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!