QuantumScape's (QS) Performance Data Provides Some Answers, But Raises Even More Questions - Bernstein
- S&P 500 closes at record high as Apple, healthcare stocks help shrug off Delta worries
- Tencent (TCEHY) Falls Sharply as State Media Describes Online Games as ‘Spiritual Opium’, Company Vows to Improve
- Oil extends losses in volatile trade as Delta variant angst spreads
- Clorox (CLX) Falls Sharply as COVID-19 Demand Wanes
- Dollar steadies as markets weigh economic risks, central bank moves
Get instant alerts when news breaks on your stocks. Claim your 1-week free trial to StreetInsider Premium here.
Bernstein analyst Mark Newman weighed in on QuantumScape (NYSE: QS) after the company released performance data for its solid-state battery technology on 8th Dec as promised. Newman said while the impressive performance data provides some answers, its opens up even more questions.
Newman notes performance data was impressive showing decent cycle life of 800 cycles (vs. Auto OEM requirement typically 1000 cycles) and fast charge capability (15mins 80% charge, vs. 25-30mins best in class). However, "importantly these two metrics were not met at the same time," the analyst notes.
Further, the analyst notes that during fast charge (15min 80% charge) QS batteries only lasted 120 cycles. "Furthermore, effective energy density for the cells being tested were not being shown, which opens up more questions such as "was QS using a full 80-90% depth of discharge or were they using shallow charge/discharge cycles to enhance the data?". It is entirely possible that QS used a very shallow charge / discharge cycle to make these results possible, which in reality would mean a significantly lower effective energy density and significantly higher cost per effective kWh of storage. Questions around operating temperature window also remain, which although was significantly better than most solid-state battery tech out there, had significantly worse performance at lower temperatures."
The firm reiterated an Underperform rating and $28.00 price target on QS.
Shares of QuantumScape closed at $57.90 yesterday.
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- Outlook Therapeutics, Inc. (OTLK) Phase 3 Data Supports Approval - Analyst
- Robinhood (HOOD) falls 3.5% early in second day of trading
- Outlook Therapeutics Incs. (OTLK) PT Raised to $6 at H.C. Wainwright
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesAnalyst Comments, Momentum Movers, Trader Talk
Related EntitiesSanford C. Bernstein
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!