Q2 Will Be a 'Pain Trade', Bonds to Outperform Stocks; Buy US Defensives - BofA
- S&P 500, Dow end at record highs as weak jobs data eases rate worries
- U.S. Added Only 266,000 Jobs in April, Well Below Estimates
- Roku (ROKU) Surges After Crushing Profit Estimates to Prompt an Upgrade to 'Buy' at Loop Capital
- Dollar broadly weaker after U.S. jobs data disappoint
- Square (SQ) Tops Q1 EPS by 25c
Get instant alerts when news breaks on your stocks. Claim your 1-week free trial to StreetInsider Premium here.
A "pain trade" is defined as "tendency of markets to deliver the maximum amount of punishment to the most investors from time to time." This market phenomenon is coming to markets in Q2, says BofA Chief Investment Strategist Michael Hartnett.
A "pain trade" will be driven by the bond market, which is set to outperform the equities following the "worst Q1 ever for 30-year Treasury & 3rd best ever YoY gain for SPX in Mar," says Hartnett, who reminds investors that $602 billion flew into global stocks in the past 5 months to exceed inflow of prior 12 years ($452bn).
He further advises traders to use “pain trade” to "position for inflation, tapering, taxation," and "sell bonds, tech, any momentum comeback vs quality." Next 6 months, investors should:
- Buy US defensives (utilities & staples) as market hedge Q2, macro hedge H2;
- RoW Last of Laggards (LoLs)...UK/EU banks/resources, Japan consumer, China/EM banks/industrials as vaccine allows RoW H2 reopening.
Here are key flows from the last week, as per BofA’s Flow Show:
“A. The largest outflow from HY bonds in 6 weeks; b. largest outflow from EM equities since early Jan’21 ($1.3bn) vs. largest inflow to European equities in 14 weeks ($1.4bn); c. record 9-week inflow to value stocks ($31.8bn), moderate inflow to tech ($1.0bn), first energy outflow in 30 weeks ($0.5bn).”
As much as $14.6 billion flew into stocks last week, compared to $13.7 billion into bonds, and $8.7 billion into cash.
BofA Bull & Bear Indicator is now down to 7.1 from 7.2.
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- Largest Inflow to Gold in 3 Months, $18.3 Billion Went into Stocks but 'Bad News is Global Tapering Has Begun' - BofA
- Thales SA (HO:FP) (THLEF) PT Raised to EUR105 at Goldman Sachs
- ChemoCentryx (CCXI) Crashes 55% on Mixed AdComm Results, Gets Downgraded at Five Firms
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesAnalyst Comments, Trader Talk
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!